Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2009 14:00

I want to upgrade my Xps M1330 laptop memory

I'v found the memory on dell i want to purchase but im confused about this -

Installation in matched pairs of modules is recommended, please order quantity two
- now my laptop has 2 slots; one slot has 2gb and one slot has 1 gb. If i only want to install a 2gb stick why do i need to buy 2 of the 2 gb sticks? cant i just take out the 1gb and replace it? also i keep trying to find the manual where its supposed to show you how to do this on your own buy i have yet to find it. anyone have it saved somewher

Update: I found  a 4gb kit off  www.crucial.com that i would like to purchase. But buying extra memory and having a 32bit OS(vista) will it be worth the money?  I guess thats my most important question. Will i automatically see and increase in speed?

4.6K Posts

February 12th, 2009 23:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

1.  You don't have to buy two sticks of RAM at all!

2.  You don't have to buy it from Dell!

I'd advise you to go to the Crucial website, and use their 'Memory Advisory Tool'.

It'll show you exactly what RAM is compatible with your system, and how much it'll cost to buy from them.

You can subsequently buy as little or as much as you want.

An added bonus, is that the recommended RAM is guaranteed to be compatible with your system :emotion-11:

Re your manual:  You'll find links to them (Users and Service) in the left menu on the XPS M1330 'Drivers and Downloads' page on the Dell website :emotion-5:

9.3K Posts

February 13th, 2009 06:00

One note about upgrading to 4GB. If you're running a 32-bit OS, you'll be able to use at most about 3.25GB of the 4GB.

There are several ways to check if you are running a 32-bit OS.

In Linux: in a command shell issue a "uname -a" and look for if there's mention of x86_64. If so you have a 64 bit OS, if not it's 32-bit.

In Windows: one way it to go to the C-drive and see if there's just "Program Files", or also a "Program Files (x86)". If the latter one exists, you have a 64-bit version of Windows and can use the complete 4GB.

22 Posts

February 13th, 2009 09:00

The reason they recommend you buy the same module for both slots is to make sure the speeds of the memory modules match.  Mis-matching ram speeds could lead to choppy audio, BSOD or even falure to startup.  If it does wotk, your machine will kick down to use the slower of the two modules.

To enure you get the right stuff go to:

www.crucial.com

And provide you model, they will tell you the speed it takes, the ram limit and number of slots.

February 13th, 2009 12:00

the one on dell is $28 for a 2GB stick. Is there cheaper 2Gb memory things? If i dont get the dell brand wont i still need to buy two of whatever one i get so they can be the same?

February 13th, 2009 12:00

I am running the 32 bit. So is it even worth it to upgrade then? cause i would like to use the full 4GB since im paying for it. Should i switch to a 64 bit? or is that even possible? my computer is really running slow and the fan keeps coming on and staying on.

February 13th, 2009 13:00

nothing out of the ordinary..im a heavy internet browser and i wanted the upgrade because its taking my computer a long time to boot up and the programs are also loading up rather slowly. I'v heard that upgrading memory could do that.

9.3K Posts

February 13th, 2009 13:00

What do you do with your laptop that makes you think you need more than 3GB of memory (and that 4GB would help)?

No Events found!