brianb34
1 Copper

Looking for backup to disk with SAN and tape

Hello All,

We recently setup a MD300i which is very nice and will soon be replacing our tape library. I would like to set up a backup to disk solution with the SAN and then also use tape for offsite storage.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar setup or scenario and what they did or would be best to do.

I saw that Dell does have a dedicated backup to disk appliance, but I would think I should be able to use my SAN for that and then somehow connect the libray to it? Cost is somewhat of a factor but 5K on a new library should be fine.

Probably a lot of ways to skin this cat. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Looking for backup to disk with SAN and tape

The first line (after your hello) in your post kind of scared me, but the 3rd line put me at ease.

Using disk storage is not a substitute for tape backup, but can be used in combination with tape backup. You can first back up to disk, and then once finished backup the backup-date to tape. This is a disk-to-disk-to-tape backup.

And you'll indeed want to have off-site storage for the tapes. Using the SAN as the only backup means that if the building went up in flames (disaster), you lost both your production data and your backups. Harddrives aren't meant to be used for offsite backups (other than USB drives for small environment backups), so pulling drives every day isn't an option. This is where tapes come in.

For offsite tape rotation use at least 3 sets of tapes.

- 1 is always in the offsite location (bank vault, or a personal vault of someone the company trusts)

- 1 is either at the offsite location, or being moved to or from the production site

- 1 is in the tape library at the production site

Some environments can't do tape rotations (e.g. financial institutions may need to keep records off all data, so they cannot re-use tapes).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
Highlighted
brianb34
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply, but actually I'm pretty comfortable with my tape backup schedule and how it works and all that.

My main question was, and I apologize if I wasn't specific enough, is if there is anyone who has implemented a backup to disk solution with their SAN. I would like to know what others have done to utilize their extra storage capacity.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Randy6611
6 Indium

Standup a backup server that has access to the md300i LUNS and your tape library. Create shares on the LUNS for your hosts to push their backups or use a remote agent backup utility to pull the backups. The later will cost more money. After the hosts have pushed their backups to the 3000i shares setup on your backup server then you can backup your backup server during the day to tape. Works great. We use this setup for less critical servers. We also use Commvault to backup our production servers on the cx3-40.

0 Kudos