Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2015 09:00

MD3200 power supply failures

Hello, 

we got some failures with MD3200 PSU (50 units), the power supply units stop to working while start-up or if we get power failure the PSU are unable to start working, after analyzing the issues we discovered that when we disconnect the Raid controller, waiting some minutes the PSU start to working fine.

my questions:

1. this could be a bad communication between raid controller and power supply/fan modules? and upgrading the firmware to the latest firmware can resolve this problem.?

2. is there is any procedure to bypass the the controller and run the power supply unit without any control? and if it is dangerous?

thanks in advance.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 28th, 2015 08:00

Hello Halim_younsi,

What is the current version of firmware that you are running on your MD3200? If you are running older firmware like 07.80.41.60 then I would upgrade the firmware to a newer version as there were some updates that was related to power supplies.

As for your second question I am not aware of any way to bypass the controller as the controller needs to control the fans to keep the system cool.  The system fans are part of the power supply units so if you bypass them then you could result in a thermal event or something else.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

May 28th, 2015 08:00

Hello SAM,

thanks for your prompt answer.

you are right, we are using the firmware's version 07.80.41.60,last week in our lab we upgraded the firmware to the version 07_84_56_60 and the power supply units started to working properly (4 PSU). but i wasn't confident that the upgrading will solve the problem. now it's confirmed.

we will apply the upgrade to all our MD storage and i'll let you know.

many thanks

Halim

1 Message

August 16th, 2019 02:00

dear Sam I have the same problem as Halim_younsi mentioned. Customer's MD3600f, dual controllers, start in couple minutes and shows "No Power Input" in the left. Which firmware now is 08.20.24.60, the latest. Is there any possibililty casing this problem ?

• 

6.9K Posts

August 16th, 2019 14:00

Hello Keigo Tsai,

Have you tried a different power outlet or a different power plug to see if that makes the powersupply go green?  If that has no change to the error, then most likely the powersupply has failed & is going to need to be replaced.  If you look in MDSM & you check the recovery guru what does it list as the errors that your MD3600f has?  If you have tried a different outlet and power cord & still getting the same thing then in most cases the power supply will need to be replaced.  What errors are listed in the Major Event Log?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!