Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

7 Posts

March 25th, 2020 03:00

MD3820i - Contingent - Preparing for import

I'm seeing some slightly unusual behaviour from an array after replacing a disk, and could use a steer on the next step.

Disk failed - was actually just a hot spare, bizarrely.

The disk has been swapped with a new (refurb) disk.

The moment it installed, multiple other disks show an exclamation mark. They still have optimal status though.

From the Storage tab, a new Disk Group has appeared, 0MB raid5_3tb.  It's status is 'Contingent - preparing for import'.

When clicking view associated physical components, it shows itself along with several other random disks from other Disk Groups.

The spare disk is still assigned to the hotspares list,  but is currently offline.

What's the correct process here?  Is there a way to dis-associate that spare disk from the others ? 

Thanks in advance,

• 

6.9K Posts

March 25th, 2020 09:00

Hello RoadRunnerX,

Are you using disk pools?  Was, your replacement drive a Dell drive or no?  What is your current version of firmware on your controllers?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 26th, 2020 09:00

Hi Sam,

Yes I've got several disk groups, one of which includes the physical disks that the new disk BELIEVES it is associated to,  but also other disks as well.

It was a Dell drive,  under the hood a Seagate ST33000650SS

Firmware version currently on 08.20.12.60

I was looking to upgrade to 8.20.24 shortly.   Do you think it doesn't recognise the Dell firmware on the hard disk ?

Thanks.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 26th, 2020 16:00

Hello RoadRunnerX,

Can I get you to pull a support bundle so that I can review it to see what is going on?  I will send you a private message so that you can send me the logs.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 27th, 2020 04:00

Thanks Sam,

Support bundle and screen grabs send privately.

Cheers,

No Events found!