Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2014 23:00

New Disk Unassigned

Hi

I'm now using the MD3000i.

We detected the disk failure so changed to the new disk but shows as "Unassigned" when we saw

at the Modular Disk Storage Manager. And it seems that Hot spare Disk is still using.

Is there any way to change the new disk's status to "Assigned"?

Thank you.

9.3K Posts

March 26th, 2014 08:00

Where did you get the replacement harddrive? If you bought a retail/generic drive (even the exact same model as the original), the MD3k-series SAN will not accept the drive.

The MD3k-series SANs will only accept Dell rebranded drives with a Dell firmware on them.

If you got the replacement drive from Dell via warranty or Dell spare parts, I'd suggest to contact Dell support again.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 26th, 2014 09:00

Hello emuboman,

As Dev Mgr has stated that the MD3000i has to have a Dell certified drive with a Dell part# on it in order for  the MD3000i to see the drive.  Also there is no way to force the drive into an assigned status till it is seen by the MD3000i.  If you did get the drive from Dell spare parts or under warranty replacement then I would do as Dev Mgr stated to contact Dell back & get another drive replacement, & make sure that you have your Dell order# so that they can process the correct replacement drive.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2014 21:00

Dear Sam

Thanks for your reply.

Noted with thanks.

I'll ask Dell support again.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for your reply.

I got the new hard drive from DELL but still shows as "Unassigned".

I'll ask to Dell support again.

No Events found!