Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2009 08:00

QLA2340

I am recieving a number of these errors in the System Event log after a reboot.  The server is a W2K3 SP2 PowerEdge 6650.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ql2300
Event ID: 11
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.

The QLA2340 HBA's rev levels:

Driver: STOR Miniport v9.1.4.15
BIOS: v1.52
Firmware: v3.03.21

Can I just update the driver to v9.1.7.18 and be done with it or do I need to update the flash and NVRAM also?  If I need to update the flash and NVRAM where do I obtain the BIN and DAT files?

8 Posts

May 28th, 2009 08:00

What are you connecting to? EMC CX300

If you're connecting to an EMC SAN (and maybe other things too), be sure to only use drivers and firmware (bios) from this page. This means the latest driver is 9.1.7.16 and it requires Microsoft hotfix 943545 (see the description field on Qlogic's site when looking at the correct driver).

Thanks for that link!  I was looking at the HBA FC QLA2340 page.

Event ID 11 is usually a driver/software issue, so assuming you are connecting to an EMC (Dell|EMC) SAN, I'd suggest updating:

- the bios to 1.54 (can use SANsurfer so you don't have to mess with a bootable dos floppy disk)
- the driver to 9.1.7.16
- update/install MS hotfix 943545

Question on the updating...

Should install the hotfix first, then BIOS and finally driver?  With this sequence am I looking at three reboots?

Also, check your Powerpath version. If you're running anything older than Powerpath 4.5.x I'd suggest to update to 4.5.2. If you're running 4.6.x to 5.1.x I'd suggest to update to 5.2 SP1. If you want to upgrade from 4.x (lower than 4.6) to 5.2.x, I'd recommend to back up your Powerpath license key (can copy and paste it from the license tool, or just write it down), then uninstall Powerpath, reboot, install Powerpath 5.2.x, add the license key on install and reboot again.

Current EMC PowerPath is v4.5.1

Appreciate your response and your insight has greatly given me some comfort in that I can do this with little disruption:emotion-2:!

9.3K Posts

May 27th, 2009 11:00

What are you connecting to?

If you're connecting to an EMC SAN (and maybe other things too), be sure to only use drivers and firmware (bios) from this page. This means the latest driver is 9.1.7.16 and it requires Microsoft hotfix 943545 (see the description field on Qlogic's site when looking at the correct driver).

Event ID 11 is usually a driver/software issue, so assuming you are connecting to an EMC (Dell|EMC) SAN, I'd suggest updating:

- the bios to 1.54 (can use SANsurfer so you don't have to mess with a bootable dos floppy disk)

- the driver to 9.1.7.16

- update/install MS hotfix 943545

Also, check your Powerpath version. If you're running anything older than Powerpath 4.5.x I'd suggest to update to 4.5.2. If you're running 4.6.x to 5.1.x I'd suggest to update to 5.2 SP1. If you want to upgrade from 4.x (lower than 4.6) to 5.2.x, I'd recommend to back up your Powerpath license key (can copy and paste it from the license tool, or just write it down), then uninstall Powerpath, reboot, install Powerpath 5.2.x, add the license key on install and reboot again.

9.3K Posts

May 28th, 2009 08:00

I usually install the driver, hotfix and bios without rebooting between them and then do a single reboot for all 3.

Powerpath 4.5.1 is a solid (reliable) version, so I'd try the other upgrades first and I'd be surprised if that version of Powerpath were to be the cause of the eventid 11 events.

No Events found!