Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

June 27th, 2022 08:00

Replace failed disk in MD3420

Hi,

I have one disk in a failed status that I need to replace. 

• Can you just pull out the failed disk and pop in the new disk while MD 3420 is still on or do i need to shut it down to install the new disk?
  • Once the new drive installed, will it rebuild itself or do I need to do run something to restore the data?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

Is there already a hotspare kicked in and rebuild is finished or are your virtual disks in a degraded state?

The MD3 supports hot plug and automatic rebuild without shutting down the unit. I suggest to watch MD Storage Manager whats going on after replace your faulty disk.

Regards,
Joerg

• 

6.9K Posts

July 5th, 2022 11:00

Hello LKkevin,

The replacement drive should have auto assigned to your virtual disk when you replaced it.  Since it didn’t then you can manually assign it to your virtual disk and once that is done your VD should show as optimal.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

July 5th, 2022 13:00

IIRC there is a progress bar on the bottom when youre on the VD.

Regards,
Joerg

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

I dont know for sure but i think the hot spare already kicked in.  I will install the MDSM tomorrow and check for the status of those disks.  Thanks Joerg.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

July 5th, 2022 09:00

I ran the MDSM tool, followed the Recovery steps, selected failed disk then copied content to the Hot spare, pulled out the failed disk (slot #4), waited 30 second, then insert a new disk.  The amber light is gone.  All disks has green light flashing indicate the disks are rebuilding.

I checked on the MDSM, the virtual disk is in Degraded status.  The status on the new disk is Optimal but Mode is Unassigned. On MDSM/Storage & Copy Service, my Storage Array is missing disk on Slot #4.

Did i do something wrong?  What should i do to bring a new disk to assigned?  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

July 5th, 2022 11:00

As you said, after 2 hours, the data reconstruction is completed successful.  My VD shows as optimal now. 

Origin3k and Sam, thanks so much for your help

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

July 6th, 2022 06:00

Thanks Joerg.

No Events found!