Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2009 11:00

Replacing a faulted drive in an AX150i

I am sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I am in a bit of a panic, and I couldn't find an exact post.

I have an AX150i dual-processor SAN with 12 drive, no hot spare.  Disk 1 is in a faulted condition and I am not sure how to fix it.  I was wondering if I could just pull the drive out and re-seat it as a first try.  Would that harm anything?  If that doesnt work, can I buy a new drive and slide it in without harming anything?  The SA is on and the other pools are fine.  I would rather not have to shut down if I dont have to.

9.3K Posts

October 14th, 2009 07:00

I wouldn't risk reseating the drive. Assuming you're out of warranty, I'd go to Dell sales/spare parts and buy an AX150 drive to replace it. Generic drives will not work in this system (on the AX100 it was a different story); you have to have an AX150 drive (even AX100 drives won't work).

I'd also make sure you do more frequent backups till your replacement drive has finished rebuilding.

You may also want to buy a 2nd drive so you have a 'cold' spare on the shelf for when the next drive fails.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2009 10:00

Thanks so much.  So if I buy a new AX150 drive, the procedure is still to remove the bad drive and insert the new one?  I don't have to shut down the SAN do I?

9.3K Posts

October 14th, 2009 12:00

Correct, you just replace it. In Navisphere you can see that the array is rebuilding once you're replaced the drive and get a bit of an idea how long it'll take.

No Events found!