Highlighted
Winning29
1 Nickel

Using non-Dell SSDs in an MD3200i (or any other Dell SAN)

I know that servers with a PERC H700 can now use non-Dell SSDs if the PERC's firmware is upgraded. But can I use non-Dell SSDs in an MD3200i with a similar firmware upgrade?

If it's not possible with an MD3200i, which Dell iSCSI SANs or NAS devices can use non-Dell SSDs?

I'd like to keep cost to a minimum. We only need about 1TB storage initially over 12 bays.

I'm also considering using StarWind to turn PowerEdge servers into SANs that will allow me to use non-Dell SSDs. Anyone here care to comment on their experience with this scenario?

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Using non-Dell SSDs in an MD3200i (or any other Dell SAN)

With our Power Vault line of systems they will not accept non-Dell drives. When you try and use non-Dell drives in the 3200i they will flash a couple times and will be marked as Not Supported. Unfortunately we do not have a utility that you can use that will allow you update them to be useable in the systems. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kenny K.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)