Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2016 18:00

Accessing data/files on a Datadomain

I am trying to access the bootstrap and index files from an EMC networker backup to a Datadomain, so I can reconfigure an EMC Networker server.

How do you go about connecting to a Datadomain to pull data off it that you need?

I have logged into the web browser admin tool and tried FTPing to the Datadomain but cant figure out how to do this?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

68 Posts

November 15th, 2016 01:00

Hi,

Thats not possible.

NetWorker does not stores the backup files in "plain" format.

For a NW Server Disaster Recovery use nsrdr.

Check the Admin Guide and SolVe Desktop for detailed steps.

Kind regards

mkeil

4 Posts

November 15th, 2016 10:00

So it would be best practice to save the bootstrap and index files to somewhere else(eg tape, other storage), i.e. not the Datadomain as they can't be retrieved from there if your EMC Networker servers dies?

73 Posts

November 15th, 2016 14:00

It is possible to get the bootstrap saveset from a data domain.  I've personally done it with 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2.  There is a networker DR guide that I recommend you review.  There are a lot of little details to be mindful of.

The general overall steps are as follows (I'm going from memory).

- Install Networker

- Add Data Domain boost disk repository to Networker.  Make sure you don't have the checkbox checked to overwrite data.

- Run scanner command so Networker knows what savesets are on the data domain.  This will run for a few hours.

- Restore bootstrap saveset.

68 Posts

November 15th, 2016 22:00

No, you can save the files to a DD (boost, AFTD, vtl, ..) - thats not a problem.

The only requirement for a bootstrap backup is a device local to the NW server.

Please check the admin guide, it's all explained there.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2016 10:00

AIG2.JPG.jpg

Hi

Thanks, yes I have installed EMC Networker 8.2 on a new server, I went through the DR guide to add the Data domain to networker, which it allows me to do.

When I try to mount the location where the bootstrap and index files are restored to on the Datadomain though, I get the error message, "Data Domain disk D2CMPIndex.001 not in media index", as in screen shot.

I will try and run that scanner command and see if I can point it to  where the index and bootstrap are, but I would have thought if I can't mount the drive it wont see it?

If you can advise exact page in the Networker DR guide it outlines how to do this, it would be appreciated, I cant seem to find the exact method to achieve what I am trying to do.

Cheers

Craig

4 Posts

November 16th, 2016 10:00

Hi

Thanks for the advice, figured out I can just use the device name and the scanner command, ran this and then it allowed me to mount the device in EMC networker, I was trying to do it the other way around, mount the drive and then was going to try and restore bootstrap, indexes.

Cheers

68 Posts

November 16th, 2016 22:00

Hi,

you don't need to run scanner/mount the volume.

Have you performed the DR with nsrdr?

nsrdr will do this all.

Regards

mkeil

No Events found!