Start a Conversation

Unsolved

12 Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

Copy data from one DD to another with Symantec Netbackup?

Hi all,

Not sure if it's supposed to be asked here... but trying my luck:

We have Netbackup servers, backing up data to DD with OST.

Now we need to migrate the whole system to a new one in another location, NBU master server is a VM, so very easy to move.

Media servers no big deal, just create new one in NBU systems and associate them.

But what about the old data inside DD? We still need them for backup, but old DD supposed to be shutdown soon.

So when you backup something to DD, my understanding is, NBU will backup some meta data, which is the key and index for real data.

Real data will be copied to DD, and meta data is point to its location.

Now how to copy all these to the new system? I know DD can do replication, but after we replicate the data to new DD, how would NBU server knows its location on new DD?

To update the meta data, I suppose we need to run a backup copy to replicate the old backup to new DD, but seems you can't manually copy any existing data in NBU, can you?

Hope I made this clear...

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

156 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 06:00

If you have a target system (Target DD) which is empty, just do a collection replication to target data Domain and then once it is Sync, perform the cutover.

The new Data Domain will have all the data along with configuration in place. You need a bit of planning but very much easy and doable.

Hope this helps

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 14:00

many ways to do this

1. DD to DD collection replication. Then import images through catalogue on the new NBU master

2. Use NetBackup Catalogue to Duplicate from one DD to the Other, Duplicate via Images will generate many jobs and can impact Master server but this is the sure way to get catalogue in sync

3. Use AIR to duplicate/replicate new and existing data

1 Message

May 28th, 2019 03:00

krogerfeedback wrote:

many ways to do this

1. DD to DD collection replication. Then import images through catalogue on the new NBU master

2. Use NetBackup Catalogue to Duplicate from one DD to the Other, Duplicate via Images will generate many jobs and can impact Master server but this is the sure way to get catalogue in sync 

3. Use AIR to duplicate/replicate new and existing data

Exactly what I needed! You just saved me several hours. Thanks!

No Events found!