This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2016 22:00

DD OS Upgrade

Hello,

I need to know procedure about following;

1) Perform DD OS Upgrade to next version

2) Perform CLEAN DD OS Installation. e.g. currently 5.1 is installed and I need to FRESH or CLEAN install 5.2

So,

a) Can this be done ONLY via Console, i.e. using Avocent

b) Or can be done by logging into DD GUI also.

Requesting any instruction document for the same.

Thanks.

208 Posts

March 30th, 2016 05:00

If you have prod systems on maintenance - you could request the code via an SR for one of those.

It's a USB install image and you need to boot the DD to BIOS and select the stick to boot from.

You could do it via KVM but you would need to insert the USB stick into the DD to start and remove it upon the reboot after the re-image completes.

Save your licenses first.

Regards, Jonathan

119 Posts

March 29th, 2016 01:00

Yes, I saw the release notes, but currently I am not concerned about the versions. I was just after whether it can be done or not.

We do not have support for DD. As DD are used by dev team. So whenever they want to test new build, they tell us, and we do Fresh via Avocent. So was just curious, if Fresh can be done via GUI or not.

208 Posts

March 29th, 2016 01:00

Firstly, 5.1 and 5.2 are both old versions - I would urge you to look on support.emc.com for details on latest DDOS versions that are applicable to your environment.

In there you will also find details in the release notes about how to perform a DDOS upgrade and how many hops you might need to make from 5.1 to the latest releases (5.7 is the very latest but you may not need to go that high yet if you're on 5.1 - I assume it's an older system).

Short answer though is;

You can upload the new DDOS version via the DD GUI.

I recommend you reboot prior to performing an upgrade and check for any alerts.

My preference is to perform the DDOS upgrade from the CLI "system upgrade DDOS.version-whatever.rpm" - this is after you uploaded the RPM via the DD GUI and removed any old versions that are already applied.

You do not need a KVM, if that's what you're asking about in your query against 'Avocent'.

For a fresh install - please raise a support call, it's a different package/process to re-install DDOS completely - it's not something that is usually required but speak with support and they will advise you directly.

Regards, Jonathan

119 Posts

March 29th, 2016 02:00

In other words, How to Do "Fresh Install" of DD OS "Remotely"?

14.3K Posts

March 29th, 2016 05:00

It is kind of silly to state you don't have support and then ask for support :-D 

Anyway, update packages you can do via GUI/CLI on top of existing release and this is how it is designed to work for customers.  In very special case, when you need new release, you need something like USB installation of DDOS which you can get from support (in your case you can't).  The whole reboot with new version removes previous data so it is not clear to me why you even test this in the first place. 

119 Posts

March 30th, 2016 03:00

Ok, so new installation has to be done by USB or PXE only. Actually I support local Dev/Test teams, who requests Fresh install because of the different build testing.

1.2K Posts

March 30th, 2016 06:00

I need to second this post - we needed to a fresh install to correct several issues.  Support assisted us with backing up the licenses beforehand, but on the new code, we could not reinstall one of the capacity licenses.  It took our local sales team and Support a week to get new licenses working.  Be sure to backup your licenses - twice!  In two, different locations, if you're particularly paranoid.

No Events found!