selim_guraksin
1 Copper

DD2200 Memory Problem

Hello,

The memory capacity of my DD device is very low even when there is no operation. There is a console output below. I am experiencing tremendous performance loss in my spare work due to memory. Any ideas on the subject?

Model: DD2200

Data Domain OS : 5.5.0.4-430231

sysadmin@emc# system show meminfo

Memory Usage Summary

Total memory:   7436 MiB

Free memory:    72 MiB

Total swap:     6143 MiB

Free swap:      6143 MiB

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
carlos.alfaro
1 Nickel

Re: DD2200 Memory Problem

I have many Data Domain, some DD2200 and other model DD2500, all have a high consumption of RAM, but my backups work very well.

Depending on the configuration of Data Domain disks, the system contains a certain value of RAM, look at the image:

DD_RAM.PNG.png

Data Somain Stream Informed Segment Layout (SISL)

The foundation for Data Domain’s industry leading performance is the Stream-Informed Segment Layout (SISL) scaling architecture. SISL enables Data Domain systems to perform 99% of the deduplication processing in CPU and RAM, which gives it fantastic performance even with inefficient protocols like CIFS and NFS. SISL means Data Domain systems do not rely on increasing the number of disks to increase performance and therefore are not spindle-bound like other deduplication platforms. This is why Data Domain systems have dramatic increases in performance with each successive generation of Intel processors – every time Intel processors get faster, Data Domain systems get faster.

So the server uses a lot of RAM and can use it at any time, but this is to make the backups faster. On servers with low memory the system consumes almost 100%.

Data Domain uses a lot of RAM and can use it at any time, but this is to make the backups faster. On DD with low memory the system consumes almost 100%.

In short, I suggest you look for another reason to justify the slow performance of your backups.

My Data Domain systems:

DD2200 - 1 (16 GB):

dd1.png

DD2200 - 2 (8 GB):

dd3.png

DD2200 - 3 ( 8 GB):

dd4.png

0 Kudos