Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2016 06:00

Data Domain vs IBM TSM

Hi All,

I need some info around using Data Domain vs TSM.

I am doing work in a TSM backup environment currently backing up to Data Domain.

The environment in question is using either DD160/620/640 devices.

The DD's are up for maintenance and the option to replace the physical DD's with DDVE devices has surfaced.

I am aware that physical disk would be required on the VMWare environment for the storage requirement.

Now my question is:

Why would I go for DD/DDVE when TSM has deduplication builtin (source & destination).

DDBoos is not supported with TSM.

What are the benefits of DD over TSM in terms of replication, deduplication, data integrity, etc.?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ignes

1.2K Posts

August 31st, 2016 07:00

TSM and Data Domain both provide deduplication of data.  TSM and Data Domain also use very different mechanisms to provide their deduplication.  You should engage your local EMC Sales Team to come in and discuss this with you.  They can also perform analysis of the data you've already backed up into Data Domain, to see how efficient TSM would be with the same data.

In terms of replication, Data Domain has an advantage over TSM - DD-to-DD replication is very bandwidth-efficient, even more so when low bandwidth is available between sites.  Also, DD is pretty flexible, offering mtree-, directory- and collection-level replication - as you mentioned you had multiple DD arrays, this would help you consolidate between units.

In terms of data integrity, the published Data Domain document can get into specific detail about the multiple ways DDOS ensure data remains available and consistent.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

September 6th, 2016 06:00

Data Domain's deduplication is variable block having a single dedupe pool, whereas IBM TSM's is a fixed block deduplication having multiple pools. The straight outcome is that Data Domain provides better deduplication ratio and hence utilizes lesser storage to store much more logical data when compared to IBM TSM. Also Data Domain can be integrated with multiple other backup softwares and can directly talk to Oracle, SAP HANA, SAP-Oracle, IBM DB2, MSSQL and VMWARE for backups over FC and IP using DDBEA licensing. These all features are not provided by TSM. Also, with TSM you have to manage collocation, migration, DB backups etc. which are time consuming and in a large environment affect the production. These all operations are not required in Data Domain, as backups are taken over disk.

Please check: http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h7221-data-domain-sisl-sclg-arch-wp.pdf for understanding the unique and best deduplication features of Data Domain.

With TSM Data Domain can be used as VTL, and still outperform TSM only deduplication and also in performance.

No Events found!