Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2014 23:00

How to migrate from one DataDomain to a new one

We have a case were DataDomain DDBoost data needs to be moved to a new bigger DataDomain. How can we accomplish this so that the Backup Exec 2012 nows about the data?

18 Posts

September 19th, 2014 06:00

For collection replication the file system mist have been destroyed and subsequently created but not enabled.

I suggest you try that first. Even if the file system was enabled you will need to destroy it again.

fi destroy

fi create

fi status (should say not enabled)

Sent from my iPhone

18 Posts

September 19th, 2014 00:00

Put the new Data Domain next to the old one and connect with a direct link.

Setup collection replication from the old to the new.

That worked for me.

Regards

Kobus Strydom

Solutions Architect

EMC Southern Africa

CONTACT DETAILS:

Switchboard: +27 11 581-0000

Direct: +27 11 581-0029

Mobile: +27 71 680 8142

Email: jacobus.strydom@emc.com

14.3K Posts

September 19th, 2014 02:00

I'm not sure about level and possibilities with BE2012 using DD Boost, but to have application aware wouldn't you add new DD to BE2012 and using application move data from one set of devices (from old DD) to new one (on new DD)?

18 Posts

September 19th, 2014 04:00

If you are simply replacing the Data Domain with a new one, the fastest way would be to use collection replication, as that would transfer all permissions etc.

Afterwards delete the replication pair and configure your new Data Domain with the old one's setting (IP, hostname, etc.)

Your application would not know about any changes that took place, since everything would look the same.

Option 2

If your application would be capable of doing this, is to create a secondary system and (in Networker) stage (move) all data from one to the other. This would take extremely long, as the app would have to read and write all data to be aware of what is taking place.

Collection replication is by far the cleanest and fastest method for replacing an old system.

Be sure to have both systems on the same OS level though.

Regards

Kobus Strydom

Solutions Architect

EMC Southern Africa

CONTACT DETAILS:

18 Posts

September 19th, 2014 05:00

Ah okay.

I thought you were replacing whole system with a new one.

My fault then.

Regards

Kobus Strydom

Solutions Architect

EMC Southern Africa

CONTACT DETAILS:

14.3K Posts

ok, your option 1 assumes new DD takes place of old one - I didn't see that as only data being moved was mentioned without saying if this is all data and if old DD will be decommissioned upon migration.  In such case, scenario 1 makes sense.

7 Posts

I tried to do Collection replication but it fails on Pre-condition check with error

Destination file system is not in pristine state (file system should not be enabled after creation)

What is wrong?

18 Posts

September 19th, 2014 06:00

Please keep in mind the previous reply is applicable to the target DD. In order to create collection replication. The target DD has to have a file system created but never enabled.

Sent from my iPhone

7 Posts

September 21st, 2014 09:00

Now the new DataDomain is up and used as target for Backup Exec. Thankyou Kobus for your help.

I did it the following way. First of all I disabled the DD in Backup Exec

1. I destroyed the filesystem on the new DD (which I had done because I tried to duplicate Backup Exec backup sets to the new DD, but it failed with unkown error, possible error in code which messed up the paths)

2. Created a new filesystem without enableing it

3. Made a collection replication

4. After this was replicated I deleted the replication pair

and enabled DD Boost which used the replicated Storage unit

5. Changed old DDs IP address and hostname

6. Changed new DDs IP address to the former IP address of old DD

7. Changed new DDs hostname to former old DDs

8. Enabled DD in Backup Exec and voilaa we had new DD with more room for Backup Exec in use, Backups that were on hold was started and they started to pump data to the new DD

18 Posts

September 21st, 2014 12:00

Good.

Sent from my iPhone

January 21st, 2015 05:00

Hey Kobus, what if I want to make the older DD a new target for replication (provided that I have enough space on it for replication), can I simply enable the replication once the new DD assumes the identity of the old one, and the old one (IPs, name) will obviously be changed to something else to avoid conflicts? Can I do this?

7 Posts

January 21st, 2015 06:00

In my case we expanded the old DDs disk to full version with 12 disks and destroyed the old file system and gave it new IP-address and name and included it in the DD Network. After that we introduced this DD to Backup Exec and made it Duplicate target for jobs and effectivily that is made as a DD replication between the 2 DDs. Which is nice because we can throttle the replication traffic between the DDs! Of course we had to take into account that we had a bonded if-group and the throttling is per interface. So we throttled it to amount we wanted to give it on the WAN link divided by 2.

No Events found!