Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AU

May 26th, 2015 18:00

IBM i and VTL Tape operations - where is the simple HowTo?

We have an IBM I Power system on 7.1 and EMC DD 2500 with a VTL which we are using without BRMS.

Have been using the doc “docu51628_Data-Domain-Application-Engineering-Virtual-Tape-Library-for-IBM-i-Integration-Guide” as reference.

Have successfully configured the systems and used DUPTAP to store a backup tape image on the VTL which has been successfully replicated to our remote VTL on DD2500(system).

So with NO BRMS how do I move tapes from the Vault through to the Changer?

I intend to modify our existing daily (nightly) backup CL script, on the IBM i, by adding on commands to do a duptap from our physical tape to the VTL.

How do I get the empty tapes to move from the VTL vault into the VTL changer?

Do I do this through the DDEM-VTL page which won't be automated or can I script this somehow.

The attached jpg shows the tapes(some of them) in the VTL library.

I have sent a query through to Peter.Wirth@EMC.COM Tue 26/05/2015 (NZDT) - think he authored the above reference document.

1 Attachment

May 27th, 2015 00:00

Hi PaulTinNZ,

This is what I can think,

Option-1) As you mentioned, Use DDEM/DDSM GUI and hand it over to your operations team for daily backups

Option-2) Instead of using Vault, you may keep the tapes in VTL Slots (consider still inside the library) and use OS command to mount/unmount tapes via Changer

If you find any other way, do share the same.

No Events found!