Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2015 03:00

IPMI port disabled with veth at DD160

Hello,

Can the IPMI port be disabled by disabling DHCP where veth is configured with eth0a & eth0b following the KB article "How to Configure DD140, 160, 610, 620, 630 IPMI LAN port(000181146)" at DD160? No problem?

Best regards,

Hiroki

208 Posts

July 16th, 2015 02:00

Hi Hiroki,

So, the methods are basically to disable IPMI in BIOS or essentially apply a bogus IP address to the IPMI interface (which disables dhcp) and NOT set an IPMI user on it (IPMI).

DDOS users are not the same as IPMI users - you need to create a user especially for IPMI in isolation from everything else.

The docs imply you can set IP's with "x's" - that's misleading - you can't.

I did this to a lab box;

sysadmin@lab_dd7200# ipmi show config

Console: serial

Port    Enabled   DHCP   IP Address       Netmask          Gateway

-----   -------   ----   --------------   --------------   ------------

bmc0a   yes      yes   172.66.66.66*   255.255.254.0*   172.66.66.1*

-----   -------   ----   --------------   --------------   ------------

* Value from DHCP

(JB: I sanitized the IP's above)

sysadmin@lab_dd7200# ipmi config bmc0a ipaddress 1.1.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 gateway 1.1.1.2

Configuration of port bmc0a is successful.

sysadmin@lab_dd7200# ipmi show config
Port    Enabled   DHCP   IP Address   Netmask   Gateway
-----   -------   ----   ----------   -------   -------
bmc0a   yes       no     1.1.1.1      0.0.0.0   1.1.1.2
-----   -------   ----   ----------   -------   -------
* Value from DHCP

The dhcp configuration that is referenced in that article is for IPMI only not the physical port it shares with.

- it will not affect dhcp for either eth0a, eth0b or the virtual port that they are both being presented as.

Treat IPMI as an entirely separate interface and config that only needs the physical port it shares with to be configured, connected and 'up'.

In your case IPMI is only trying to configure on dhcp because eth0a is enabled because it is part of your veth0 and has that Ethernet cable connected.

Does that make sense?

Regards, Jonathan

208 Posts

June 29th, 2015 05:00

Can you clarify your question please?

Are you looking to disable IPMI?

Or IPMI was configured and working and now doesn't since you create a virtual port over eth0a/eth0b (since eth0a is the physical/hosting port for IPMI on a DD160)?

49 Posts

July 9th, 2015 10:00

You need to disable DHCP for BMC0a and it is recommended to configure a non-routable, static IP on BMC0a.  A configuration of "not configured" is also OK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2015 03:00

Hello jbrooksuk & bobt@dd,

Is it ok that where veth is configured with eth0a & eth0b?

Thank you for answering.

Best regards,

Hiroki

208 Posts

July 10th, 2015 04:00

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you want to do but will try to answer.

You can create a Veth across eth0a and eth0b and configure IPMI to also use/share the physical port and Ethernet cable in eth0a.

If you don't configure IPMI, it won't be used - I guess that's obvious... sorry.

eth0a has to have a configuration and be physically connected to allow a configuration of IPMI to succeed against that shared (sideband) port under eth0a.

As long as eth0a up and configured then you can configure IPMI without issue.

As an example, on a DD990 IPMI is sideband on eth0d. You do not need a normal/usable IP configured there to configure IPMI but you do need to force the port up and connect it in order to configure IPMI.

e.g - for DD990:

net config eth0d 0

net config eth0d up

This will then show the eth0d port as IP: not specified but link up (with cable attached).

net show settings

and

net show hardware

Until this is true, you cannot configure IPMI - bmc-eth0d ---- it will complain that no cable is connected.

regards, Jonathan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 11th, 2015 00:00

Hello Jonathan,

I might explain enough.

The customer wants to set IPMI to be disabled at DD160. And he knows he can't disabled it by CLI there so that he is trying to disabled it by disabling DHCP on the port in BIOS setting. However he is worrying if it's no problem for his veth setting when he disable DHCP on the port. Because the port is joining to the veth.

I aasume the way to disable IPMI is referred to the KB article "How to Configure DD140, 160, 610, 620, 630 IPMI LAN port(000181146)".

I really appreciate your answering.

Best regards,

Hiroki

14.3K Posts

July 12th, 2015 06:00

I can't see how IPMI and veth0 (or any of eth0 and eth1) is related.  I have one DD160 and I never configured IPMI... it is there as it is by default:

# ipmi show config

Port       Enabled   DHCP   IP Address     Netmask          Gateway    

--------   -------   ----   ------------   --------------   ------------

bmc-eth0   no        yes    192.168.1.2*   255.255.255.0*   192.168.1.1*

--------   -------   ----   ------------   --------------   ------------

* Value from DHCP

I use both eth0 and eth1 and I have no issues.  I really can't see how this port would join veth as these two are not related (unless someone made it so, but then that should be corrected instead).  On DD160 you can't run ipmi disable all so just leave it as it is (and delete user if you ever had set it).  Perhaps it would be more clear if you could supply customer's network config and explain based on that data where the problem is.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2015 02:00

Hello Hrvoje Crvelin,

The customer wants to disable IPMI on eth0 following the KB article "How to Configure DD140, 160, 610, 620, 630 IPMI LAN port(000181146)". To do that the DHCP will have to be disabled on eth0 according to the above KB. However the costomer has configured veth using the eth0. So he worries if it's OK to disable DHCP there.

Thank you for answering.

Best regards,

Hiroki

14.3K Posts

July 13th, 2015 03:00

Your customer surely does not use DHCP for veth0.  Further, eth0 is just one physical interface in bond veth0 and properties of bond are driven by properties on veth0 and not eth0.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2015 16:00

Hello Hrvoje Crvelin,

I'm sorry, I might explain incorrectly.

The customer has a veth configured with eth0a & eth0b. So he worries to disable DHCP on the eth0a to disable IPMI following "How to Configure DD140, 160, 610, 620, 630 IPMI LAN port(000181146)".

Thank you for replying.

Best regards,

Hiroki

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2015 03:00

Hello Jonathan,

So the customer must not disable DHCP on the eth0a because he uses it among his veth? And he should disable IPMI in BIOS? What will happen if he disable DHCP on his eth0a during it's in the veth?

I really appreciate.

Best regards,

Hiroki

208 Posts

July 16th, 2015 04:00

You can't edit the network config of eth0a because it is a member of veth0 - your dhcp config is applied against veth0 not eth0a.

You should not touch that config for veth0, nothing is to be changed there, your customer wants to keep that part of his config exactly as it is.

IPMI can either be disabled in BIOS or you can set a bogus IP config on IPMI (as show in my extract) that forces dhcp for IPMI to OFF/NO - you can also see that proved from the extract I applied to my previous post.

Doing so ^^ does not impact eth0a, eth0b or veth0 is any way whatsoever - it is a different config all together...

Regards, Jonathan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2015 23:00

Hello Jonathan,

So to disable the IPMI keeping the customer's veth0, we should disable the IPMI in the BIOS or set a bogus IP on the IPMI with disabling DHCP on the IPMI (not on the eth0a)?

And we must not disable the DHCP on the eth0a to disable the IPMI?

I was complicated the port to be disabled DHCP between eth0a and IPMI.

Best regards,

Hiroki

208 Posts

July 17th, 2015 00:00

Ping me an email Hiroki, I'll show you.

Jonathan

No Events found!