Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2015 23:00

NDMP with DD and Networker

Hi all,

Can you use the Aux0 ports in the VNX datamovers to directly connect to a Data Domain VTL card?

I've read through the documents on NDMP for NW, VNX and Data Domain, and it's not exactly clear.

Thanks,

Ed

1.2K Posts

February 19th, 2015 05:00

It's not in the eLab site - it's a general document you can download from the Search tool in the Support community - https://support.emc.com/docu32527_NAS-NDMP-Interoperability-Matrix.pdf?language=en_US

Thanks!

1.2K Posts

February 16th, 2015 00:00

I assume by "directly connect" you still mean connect via an FC switch, not directly connecting the AUX ports directly to the FC ports on the VTL card, correct?

You'll want to double-check the NDMP Compatibility matrix for this.  While Data Domain VTL is supported, you must emulate supported drive types as well.  However, in the only cases it's mentioned in the matrix, direct connection (that is, not using an FC switch) is listed as "not supported".

In any case, you wish to open an RPQ with engineering, if you're not 100% sure.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

214 Posts

February 16th, 2015 01:00

Thanks for the reply, where did you find the NDMP compatibility matrix? I've looked all over elab and can't see it.

February 19th, 2015 07:00

Hi edhoward,

Yes you can. I'm doing it here by me.

I've done on the Celerra, but since a year ago I've migrate all my data to a new VNX appliance and reconfigured the NDMP backup for VNX with direct connect.

maybe the link here will help a bit:

http://nsrd.moab.be/2011/08/09/configuring-ndmp-backups-on-dd-vtl-part-1/

214 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 00:00

Great thanks, out of interest where the heck are the Aux ports on the datamovers?

214 Posts

I thought it was that one! Does it come with the SFP?

I believe so. generally all FC ports on the first FC O/I Card comes with four SFP.

VNX_FC_Connection.jpg

Well there is no really a port named Aux on the back of the NVX.

Just choose a FC port. I pick the first above like in the picture.

1.2K Posts

February 25th, 2015 09:00

I just saw another customer's new install of a VNX5400 and VNX5600, one Unified, one File-only.  Both arrays had fully-populated SFPs in the FC I/O slots for AUX0 and AUX1.

No Events found!