Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 20th, 2016 02:00

Some basic questions

Hi all

We are setting up our first data domain systems for a while now and I've got some really basic questions. I've already started reading docs but I am too slow atm due to we need to finish some projects which are related to DD, replication, and so on.

Am I able to...

• split traffic on the network adapters Management, Data, Replication?
  • schedule time of replication?
  • use shares without domain resp. DNS system?

Do I need DNS to replicate??? Is there a way to replicate IP to IP? I've had issue with replication resp. it didn't work when I specified IP addresses or didn't have a DNS environment I assume due to the certificates which are needed to exchange when adding the systems in the system list.

Thank you

208 Posts

February 1st, 2016 00:00

Anyone?

14.3K Posts

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Perhaps you should take training   Answers:

• how you split it is up to you, but you can direct traffic over certain networks and that way you can split your traffic (given they all use separate network)
  • if you replicate, you want it to be all the time. I assume you have slow link and wish to do this during the night only so suspend replication and unsuspend it again.  I doubt you will have issue since only changed blocks (and not present on the other side) are being replicated. Give it a try first.
  • I assume you can use it, but never tried. I think you wish to have DNS place and records for DDs should be in local hosts as well.

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

Am I able to...

• split traffic on the network adapters Management, Data, Replication?
    • You can split traffic any way you want to, although I recommend a different VLAN for each of your desired tasks. It does increase complexity during setup as you will need to create static routes for the gateways for each VLAN, but it ensures data flows the right way.
  • schedule time of replication?
    • Sure can. Preferred is constant replication, and it is changed blocks only, but you could set it for nightly if you wanted to. This assumes that you're using the built in MTree replication, and not driving replication via a NetBackup SLP (Storage Lifecycle Policy), in which case, you'd have to configure your backup software with windows and rules, not the DD itself.
  • use shares without domain resp. DNS system?
    • You can use shares without DNS, just as you can replicate without DNS. The DD's each have a built in hosts file, just as any  other linux-based system does. Create a host entry for each of your sources and targets with their IP address and you should be good to go. If you need to create new certificates, and you may, if these DD's have talked to each other in any manner in the past), it can be done by escaping to root-shell in the DD, which is something EMC backline support can do with you over a WebEx if needed. I DO NOT RECOMMEND you try to manipulate certs on your own, or ever access the root shell unless EMC Support specifically walks you through it.

Do I need DNS to replicate??? Is there a way to replicate IP to IP? I've had issue with replication resp. it didn't work when I specified IP addresses or didn't have a DNS environment I assume due to the certificates which are needed to exchange when adding the systems in the system list.

The hosts file is your friend

I highly recommend you take some DataDomain training if you have the ability to

208 Posts

February 8th, 2016 05:00

Hi guys

Thank you for your feedback guys, I really appreciate. Well it's always the same for our company.... first you sell some really good products to the customers but training is not a big thing.... after a while if you do complain as a technician you are allowed to visit a training! It's on my schedule as soon as possible but until then i need to collect information out of the internet and the community :-)

Well could you please explain to me a little bit more in detail

• how to split network or tell me where to find that piece of informmation in documentation? Do i need to do it on CLI or in the GUI?
  • Also replication schedule would be an interesting thing to know. GU or CLI? Where do I find thid information?

Further we face issue with the time (RTO) with Veeam well for me the situation is clear due to dedup it takes some time to be able to restore files stored an DD. What is the best practice to use disk based storage and DD?

Primary Storage will be backed up by Backup Server (FC) with HDD as a  primary sotrage and for long term using EMC DD?

Desaster Recovery

One of the most imporant points for me at the moment is the following. If I have 1 backup server and two data domains.

1 Datadomain next to the backup server and one system in another location. Shall i do replicataion by Veeam or by DD?

How do I integrate the 2nd domain into Veeam? Let's assume i wil backup on DD1 and this one is replicating to DD2 and DD1 breaks how do i get access to DD2? Do I just add the 2nd DD when i need that one or is there a special design or technology?

Cheers and thank you

13 Posts

February 8th, 2016 08:00

• how to split network or tell me where to find that piece of informmation in documentation? Do i need to do it on CLI or in the GUI?

From GUI, Under Hardware ==> Network, you should see all the interfaces. Depending on model/slot, you would have eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3. Take an example here eth0/eth1 being copper and eht2/eth3 as Fiber cards. Fiber cards are ususally dual port and Copper Quad port. You can setup Management as copper (say eth0a and eth1a teamed together) connection. Data movers can be eth2a and eth3a seperate connections no teaming and 10G/Fiber. eth2b/eth3b can be Replication, again 10G seperate connections (alternate one if using DMZ).

This way you achieve redundancy at all levels. Now we can use Replication on a seperate network with ACLs opened but all others including management/data movers on same network for better performance.

• Also replication schedule would be an interesting thing to know. GU or CLI? Where do I find thid information?

DD has different replication techniques, say take an example of MTree replication which sends snapshots every 15 mins. you cant' schedule this DD replication and leave it to run itself. It's very optimized and only changes are sent over network.

Further we face issue with the time (RTO) with Veeam well for me the situation is clear due to dedup it takes some time to be able to restore files stored an DD. What is the best practice to use disk based storage and DD

You can't compare performance of a regular disk storage vs DD and DD is much better. DD restores over a 10G network are very faster with no lags.

208 Posts

February 10th, 2016 02:00

Hey

Thanks for that post. Look at this yesterday I was "complaining" about how my company regarding projects and technology and now they gave to me a new datadomain porject......

Well I like it but hey I would like to have training on this first!!!

Well can anyone tell me more about replication based on IP? We will have to site connected by WAN but no DNS, like PS-VCORE mentioned there is a way to setup the whole thing with hostfile and IP.

Can anyone tell me more about this or point me to a document about this? How about certificates is that going to be influenced if we only to stuff with IP rather than DNS names?

Thank you so much

13 Posts

February 10th, 2016 03:00

I didn't quiet catch the trouble in using DNS vs IP. For Data Domains, you can access the management URL obviously via IP, if a DNS is created that would work too. Each interface is configured with the IP.

So when you setting up replication, you can access the management page via IP and add the destination system also via IP to same Systems Manager and configure replication from replication tab.

Now if you need to define a particular interface to be used for replication, please add a route.

Say A has IP 192.168.1.9 - management

Replication - 192.168.100.9

B has IP 10.268.1.9

Access Systems manager on A using the above IP and use options, add additional system and add B there

Now from Replication tab on A, configure replication between A and B.

Now if you want to use Replication interface from A to B, at A add a route from route/Network tab

route add 10.268.1.9 ( address to B) through 192.168.100.9 (replication interface on A)

208 Posts

February 10th, 2016 05:00

Hi

Thanks for this really helpful post. What about the certificates and names? Last time i tried to add my 2nd DD to the GUI of the first one (because this seems to be a prerequiste otherwise i can not choose my replication destination) by IP there was an error.

First it did not work then it worked with an error message regarding hostname issues but it added the system anyway. After a while it disappeared.

Only when I used a DNS solution and add the systems with the DNS name the system remained in the GUI and I was able to choose that one as replication target.

13 Posts

February 10th, 2016 07:00

I just added a test system with the IP address and it works fine. Whether you enter DNS or IP address, it prompts for a certificate while adding which you need to accept. Once done, the displayed name would be the name of the Data Domain (Host Name) what you configured while installing the DD for further use. I don't see any issues in not having a DNS name for the same.

208 Posts

February 11th, 2016 00:00

Hi Nithin

Thank you for putting that effort into my request, I really appreciate! For me it is exactelly the way you explained it when i type in the name of the system but  when I type in the IP there is an ERROR BOX.

I've got a screenshot of it, it says "There was a communication problem with the system. Check your log files or try it again in a few minutes". Also with the name "EMCDD02" there was one: "Communication error encountered, please check if EMCDD2" can be resolved from Management Host EMCDD01.

Then i closed the thing and add the system like this "emcdd02.domain.local" et voila it works. So do I need to add the hosts in the hostfile of each DD before I do this?? For me it should not be necessary when i type in IP address but as you can see at least for me it didn't work with IP address...

I've got two other DD here and i will get two others in a week with the same need of replication so let's see.

I've got one final question... maybe this is also related to the IP/Name issue.

There is a mtree called "backupveeam" on this one there is a shared called "backupveamshare". Everything works fine which means client access = * and user =* but as soon as I type in an username user=backupveam I don't have access anymore on that share even when i type in emcdd01\backupveam and passwort.

When i remove the share and specify the user from beginning like this it works. When I add another user it doesn't work for that one.

1) How do I add a local user account to a share?? Click on the share and say modify? Then adding a user with the plus icon and type in the username manually which I've created on the system before? Why is there no dropdown????

2) How do I assign LDAP user to that share??? Specify it like domain\user????

I really need training and i will check schedule and force my boss to send me there. I am wasting so much time which I really don't have due to the amount of projects atm...

Thank you

13 Posts

February 11th, 2016 04:00

I'm not very sure if it's specific to the version of DD you use or the DD OS version. What's your DD OS version, I tried atleast in 3 systems and IP works charm.

For CIFS, you can leave it a * at Data Domain and from Compmgmt.msc, open share and add more users.

Here's the EMC doc around it.

Add User or Group to CIFS Share

8 Posts

February 13th, 2016 12:00

Let me take a look through some of my old terminal session logs. There's a really good chance I'll have the commands that you need to do this. Some of it is much easier using commandline, some can be done from the WUI, such as adding the hosts to the hosfile. the static routes are easier from the commandline.

There is a really good chance that you are going to have to delete and reauthenticate the partner DD from the WUI, once you put those hostfile entries and static routes in. If that is the case, and your certificates no longer work, you will have to open an EMC case and let them remote in and they can guide you through the steps of creating a new key and archiving the old one. My original installation team put in the wrong domain name in when they configured mine, so my certificates were invalid from the get-go and I had to go through it. It's not that difficult it takes about 30 minutes on a WebEx

If I can find the appropriate log files I will post it in a follow up to this

Thanks & Regards,

Paul

Paul D Simpson

Storage & BRS Engineer

Mobile: (602)339-6844

24x7 Support: (877)348-7714

Email: Paul.Simpson@vcoretec.com

Experience the vCORE difference: Superior Customer Service & Engineering Excellence.

http://www.vcoretec.com

208 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 06:00

Hi Paul

I do have the same situation like the last time. I have 2 brand new DD2200 systems and they are attached each with 1 GbE via switch to each other. There is no DNS within the network I just added the system IP and hostname within "Hardware-Ethernet-Settings-Host Mapings" with their IP addresses and hostnames.... i can ping both systems from the CLI with hostname and IP address.

As soon as i go to "Replication-Manage Systems" and add the system with he FQDN (Which is pingable) it takes a while and then it informs me about "The Following is the certificate probvided by the system EMCDD2.customer.tld" Verify this and press OK" I press OK and then it takes forever!

I did even create a route "Hardware-Ethernet-Routes" like this

Static Route

-host 192.168.17.5 eth0a

Where eth0a is the default 1GbE port which is attached to the coper network switch like the other system... I really don't get it!

116 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hi Duker,

I'm with DataDomain Support.  You stated that the certificate exchange takes a long time but does it finish?  The systems have to swap certificates over SSH before replication can occur.  Normally on a WAN setup we would tell customers to make sure SSH is open both ways on the firewall until the certificates are swapped but you are saying they are local to each other.  I'd like to look into this further for you.  Please email me directly at lawrence.betts@emc.com and if possible, send me the serial numbers of the system so I can check the latest AutoSupports.  Thanks in advance.

Patrick Betts

Data Domain

NET/REPL

208 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 01:00

Hi everyone

Hope it is OK if I've got another question for you guys. It is about DD Boost.

Do we also profit from better performance when using usual CIFS/NFS shares on DD and Veeam or Backup Exec with OST or only with the storage units?

Cheers and thank you

No Events found!