DukeR1337
2 Iron

Re: Some basic questions

Hi Nithin

Thank you for putting that effort into my request, I really appreciate! For me it is exactelly the way you explained it when i type in the name of the system but  when I type in the IP there is an ERROR BOX.

I've got a screenshot of it, it says "There was a communication problem with the system. Check your log files or try it again in a few minutes". Also with the name "EMCDD02" there was one: "Communication error encountered, please check if EMCDD2" can be resolved from Management Host EMCDD01.

Then i closed the thing and add the system like this "emcdd02.domain.local" et voila it works. So do I need to add the hosts in the hostfile of each DD before I do this?? For me it should not be necessary when i type in IP address but as you can see at least for me it didn't work with IP address...

I've got two other DD here and i will get two others in a week with the same need of replication so let's see.

I've got one final question... maybe this is also related to the IP/Name issue.

There is a mtree called "backupveeam" on this one there is a shared called "backupveamshare". Everything works fine which means client access = * and user =* but as soon as I type in an username user=backupveam I don't have access anymore on that share even when i type in emcdd01\backupveam and passwort.

When i remove the share and specify the user from beginning like this it works. When I add another user it doesn't work for that one.

1) How do I add a local user account to a share?? Click on the share and say modify? Then adding a user with the plus icon and type in the username manually which I've created on the system before? Why is there no dropdown????

2) How do I assign LDAP user to that share??? Specify it like domain\user????

I really need training and i will check schedule and force my boss to send me there. I am wasting so much time which I really don't have due to the amount of projects atm...

Thank you

0 Kudos
nithin_s
1 Nickel

I'm not very sure if it's specific to the version of DD you use or the DD OS version. What's your DD OS version, I tried atleast in 3 systems and IP works charm.

For CIFS, you can leave it a * at Data Domain and from Compmgmt.msc, open share and add more users.

Here's the EMC doc around it.

Add User or Group to CIFS Share

0 Kudos
PS-VCORE
1 Copper

Let me take a look through some of my old terminal session logs. There's a really good chance I'll have the commands that you need to do this. Some of it is much easier using commandline, some can be done from the WUI, such as adding the hosts to the hosfile. the static routes are easier from the commandline.

There is a really good chance that you are going to have to delete and reauthenticate the partner DD from the WUI, once you put those hostfile entries and static routes in. If that is the case, and your certificates no longer work, you will have to open an EMC case and let them remote in and they can guide you through the steps of creating a new key and archiving the old one. My original installation team put in the wrong domain name in when they configured mine, so my certificates were invalid from the get-go and I had to go through it. It's not that difficult it takes about 30 minutes on a WebEx

If I can find the appropriate log files I will post it in a follow up to this

Thanks & Regards,

Paul

Paul D Simpson

Storage & BRS Engineer

Mobile: (602)339-6844<tel:(602)339-6844>

24x7 Support: (877)348-7714<tel:(877)348-7714>

Email: Paul.Simpson@vcoretec.com<mailto:Paul.Simpson@vcoretec.com>

Experience the vCORE difference: Superior Customer Service & Engineering Excellence.

http://www.vcoretec.com<http://www.vcoretec.com/>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DukeR1337
2 Iron

Hi Paul

I do have the same situation like the last time. I have 2 brand new DD2200 systems and they are attached each with 1 GbE via switch to each other. There is no DNS within the network I just added the system IP and hostname within "Hardware-Ethernet-Settings-Host Mapings" with their IP addresses and hostnames.... i can ping both systems from the CLI with hostname and IP address.

As soon as i go to "Replication-Manage Systems" and add the system with he FQDN (Which is pingable) it takes a while and then it informs me about "The Following is the certificate probvided by the system EMCDD2.customer.tld" Verify this and press OK" I press OK and then it takes forever!

I did even create a route "Hardware-Ethernet-Routes" like this

Static Route

-host 192.168.17.5 eth0a

Where eth0a is the default 1GbE port which is attached to the coper network switch like the other system... I really don't get it!

0 Kudos

Hi Duker,

I'm with DataDomain Support.  You stated that the certificate exchange takes a long time but does it finish?  The systems have to swap certificates over SSH before replication can occur.  Normally on a WAN setup we would tell customers to make sure SSH is open both ways on the firewall until the certificates are swapped but you are saying they are local to each other.  I'd like to look into this further for you.  Please email me directly at lawrence.betts@emc.com and if possible, send me the serial numbers of the system so I can check the latest AutoSupports.  Thanks in advance.

Patrick Betts

Data Domain

NET/REPL

0 Kudos
DukeR1337
2 Iron

Hi everyone

Hope it is OK if I've got another question for you guys. It is about DD Boost.

Do we also profit from better performance when using usual CIFS/NFS shares on DD and Veeam or Backup Exec with OST or only with the storage units?

Cheers and thank you

0 Kudos
ble1
5 Iridium

With CIFS/NFS it is the same as with any other CIFS/NFS plus benefits like de-dupe and PBBA architecture which is designed for data protection.  All these use storage units so I guess you wanted to ask if you get extra benefit with DD Boost.  You do as your client becomes partner in de-dupe crime and you get partial client de-dupe processing already which in return makes whole process better (this will result in higher backup speeds and less bandwidth usage for example).

0 Kudos