Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 12th, 2014 03:00

data domain dd990 replication performance in long-distance, high-load, networker clone controlled replication scenario

hi,

i wonder whether anyone has an idea what we can expect in the following scenario.

the scenario:

two dd990 large systems (ddos 5.4 or 5.5.x), approx 550-600 kms (350-380 miles) away, connectivity between the two is 10G, avg round trip time some 15ms.

large configs, heavily loaded systems. (we do not have more info on the capacity usage or the workload at this moment.)

the data domain systems are to be configured as dd boost devices, the backup application is networker (8.1.2), clone-controlled replication (ccr) is the preferred way of replicating/cloning backups between the two sites/systems. because of ccr and dd boost, i suppose managed file replication of dd is a must.

the question:

what kind of replication performance can be expected from this system? what kind of documents or tools can give some hints about this?

does the fact that replication will be managed by networker (ccr clone-controlled replication) have any major affect on the replication performance?

i guess that such powerful comms link like 10G is not quite often used for replication, and this distance is also relatively long. do these factors have major implication on replication speed?

(i found a very old dd "replication sizing guide" document, but it is so old it has some ballpark figures for only old and smaller dd models, plus it has nothing to say about managed file replication.)

(i also thought about the ebss emc backup system sizer, which could be a good starting point to quick-size the replication solution. we have very little input, performance and capacity data to feed into ebss.)

thanks.

Geza

40 Posts

November 12th, 2014 06:00

Hello,

I don’t have a lot to add based on your questions, but one thing that would help you out (this is easier said than done..) is to put your dd’s in the same data center for a short amount of time to “seed” the ccr target. Seeding is the process where you get the dd prepopulated with a bunch of blocks so your initial clone across your wan link won’t be a huge amount of data as the ccr target already has a “base” of blocks on it. But with you having 10g between sites this may not be a problem.

14.3K Posts

November 13th, 2014 03:00

I don't think DDBoost is officially blessed for 15ms so I would not put hand in fire for CCR before double checking that...

No Events found!