Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 10th, 2017 07:00

is there a way to run DD VE in test on VMware Workstation ?

is there a way to run DD VE in test on VMware Workstation ?

1.2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 17:00

Do you mean test the installation process or test a backup to DD?

May 17th, 2017 02:00

no run it as a test in vmware workstation on my laptop, to show to customers and for myself

1 Message

May 18th, 2017 12:00

I too have been trying to run DDVE in VMWare Workstation Pro 12. Have tried several ways to run and last attempt to contact support, last year sometime, suggested it was not supported. Has there been anyway to run from VMWare workstation ?

1.2K Posts

May 19th, 2017 13:00

The OVA passed the startup checks in VMware Virtual Box for me.  I don't know for certain if Workstation will run it, but I can't see an obvious reason why it would not.  You'll still need to meet the space requirements, as listed in the installation guide, but it should install and plumb the two virtual network interfaces it needs.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

May 20th, 2017 07:00

For tesing, I've installed ESXi on top  of VMware Workstations. I don't see a reason why DD VE shouldn't run at least under ESXi in that case.
Once I've installed freeNAS under VMware Workstation to provide a common storage for ESXi. In that case even vMotion was working.

Good luck

1 Message

April 16th, 2019 05:00

I haven't been successful in getting DDVE  6.1.2.30 (.OVA) and VMware Workstation 15 to play nicely.   What's weird to me is that other .OVAs import just fine ... for example, the Isilon Simulator from Dell EMC ... so I'm not sure what the difference is.  Can someone explain that to me?  

April 16th, 2019 17:00

I run multiple DD VEs as nested VMs in VMware Workstation on top of ESXi - this is by far the easiest way to get them running. I also have a heavily modified VMX for the DD VE which runs in VMware Workstation directly but I had compatibility issues during upgrades and would not recommend it although it's doable

July 12th, 2019 04:00

I run multiple DD VEs as nested VMs in VMware Workstation on top of ESXi - this is by far the easiest way to get them running. I also have a heavily modified VMX kodi for the DD VE which runs in VMware Workstation directly but I had compatibility issues during upgrades and would not recommend it although it's doable

I don't know for certain if Workstation will run it, but I can't see an obvious reason why it would not.  You'll still need to meet the space requirements, as listed in the installation guide, but it should install and plumb the two virtual network interfaces it needs.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2019 02:00

You must establish a baseline throughput. You need to make an apples to apples comparison between an ESX host running a single virtual machine and a physical host tellsubway.com If the hardware between the two are identical and the operating system version between the physical host and the virtual machine are also the same.

13 Posts

November 8th, 2019 23:00

Yes. I can deploy the new DDVE 4.0 (Data Domain OS 7.0.0.7-638552) on VMware Workstation Pro 15

Steps:

1. Download the zip file and extract

2. On VMWare Workstation open the ddve-7.0.0.7-638552.ova. Import virtual machine (choose name and path of VN - and choose Deployment Option is: 8TB Configuration)

3. Create new VM on the same path of  the Deployment and using the two vmdk (... -disk1.vmdk and -disk2.vmdk)

4. Using notepad to edit the vmx file for the new VM - add/change following lines:

--make the OS can recognize the drive for boot disk

scsi0.virtualDev = "pvscsi"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"

--to get rid of the alert: "Unsupported virtual hardware configuration"

sched.cpu.shares = "-1"
sched.cpu.level = "normal"
sched.mem.pin = "TRUE"

5. Turn on new VM and do the configuration steps...

WARNING: This only for TEST Environments on Laptop

Hope this help!

Tien.

1 Message

August 6th, 2020 01:00

@Tien Bui 

3. Create new VM on the same path of  the Deployment and using the two vmdk (... -disk1.vmdk and -disk2.vmdk)

What type of VM to create; windows, Linux etc ?

Also while creating VM, it does not allow to select more than 1 Virtual Disk. The DDVE OVA deployment has created 2 VMDKs

Rgds,

Pradeep

13 Posts

August 6th, 2020 02:00

1. VM Type: Other 64-bit

2. You can manually add the two vmdk to VM after extracting the zip file.

ddve2.png

DDVE7.png

Hope this help!

1 Message

September 8th, 2020 05:00

Follow these easy steps to get DDVE working under VMware Workstation:

1. Download then Unpack the ddve-vsphere-7.3.0.5-663138.zip

2. In VMware Workstation Open/Import the ddve-7.3.0.5-663138.ova

3. Go to the new VM's folder and Open the .vmx file with Notepad

4. Replace All "independent_persistent" with "independent-persistent"

Cluj-Napoca_0-1599566354297.png

5. You're all set. Enjoy.

1 Message

July 10th, 2023 00:00

Yes, it is possible to run Dell EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition (DD VE) on VMware Workstation for testing purposes. VMware Workstation is a virtualization platform that allows you to create and run virtual machines on your computer.

Here are the general steps to run DD VE on VMware Workstation:

1. Download the DD VE OVA file from the Dell EMC support website or obtain it from the official sources.
  2. Open VMware Workstation and go to "File" -> "Open" to import the DD VE OVA file.
  3. Follow the import wizard to configure the virtual machine settings, such as CPU, memory, storage, and network.
  4. Start the DD VE virtual machine.
  5. Connect to the DD VE virtual machine console to perform the initial setup and configuration. This typically involves assigning IP addresses, configuring network settings, and setting up storage repositories.
  6. Once the initial configuration is complete, you can access the DD VE management interface through a web browser. Use the provided IP address to access the DD VE interface and continue the configuration and management of the appliance.

Please note that DD VE is a resource-intensive application, and you should ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for running VMware Workstation and DD VE. Additionally, make sure you have obtained the necessary licenses and follow any specific instructions or guidelines provided by Dell EMC for running DD VE in a virtual environment.

It's always recommended to refer to the official documentation and support resources provided by Dell EMC for detailed installation and configuration instructions for DD VE on VMware Workstation.

No Events found!