Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2013 14:00

Ask the Expert: Getting Started with Data Protection Advisor 6.0

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Avamar Plugin for Microsoft Applications

Ask the Expert: EMC ProtectPoint: Storage Integrated Data Protection for Your Mission Critical Applications

https://community.emc.com/thread/170003

Welcome to this exciting Ask the Expert event! On March 11 EMC is hosting an interactive web event called Backup Game Day II about backup and recovery strategy and the completely redesigned EMC Data Protection Advisor 6.0.

Following the live webcast, this Ask the Expert event will give you an opportunity to talk to our experts about DPA 6.0 and how to get started setting it up in your lab environment.

This discussion begins on Tuesday, March 11th  and concludes on March 30th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Your hosts:

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-21673-1-54873/115-130/DavidRussell.jpg

David Russell has been working  at EMC for 5+ years as a support Subject Matter Expert for DPA within the engineering team.
Over that time he has supported the product through its previous incarnations as WysDM/EBA.
David now works in the DPA Engineering team as a system analyst creating engineering requirements based on enhancement requests from both internal and external customers.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-21674-1-54874/128-130/Thomas+Giuliano+pic.png

Thomas Giuliano has spent 15 years bringing network and storage products to market through roles in Sales, Product Management and Marketing.  In his current role as a Senior Product Marketing Manager at EMC, he tirelessly listens to customers discuss their data protection challenges, their experiences, and their needs.  Tom’s responsibilities include Data Protection Advisor strategic and tactical marketing direction.

Tom holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from the University of New Hampshire, and a Master of Science degree in Engineering and Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Rhode Island.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-21676-1-54875/97-113/Elvin.png

Elvin Kan hails from the WysDM acquisition and has been working with DPA for the past 7+ years in Post Sales, Implementation/Delivery, customization and now Pre-Sales. He is also also versed in the BRS products as DPA interfaces with them and I also have worked with other non-EMC backup products. Elvin has worked in various sectors of the IT industry so I also bring with me an understanding of databases and mainframes.

666 Posts

March 11th, 2013 10:00

This Ask the Expert even is now open for questions. we look forward to a lively and interactive discussion.

Regards,

Mark

73 Posts

March 12th, 2013 05:00

Hi Mark - thanks for kicking off the DPA 6 Ask The Expert discussion!

To learn more about the exciting DPA 6 announcement, launch webcast on demand, or free trial, you can learn more here.

Otherwise, experts are standing by....... 

We're listening.

73 Posts

March 19th, 2013 18:00

For those who didn't have an opportunity to view the live Backup Game Day II launch event, you can watch the on-demand version.

And to get the conversation going, I've reposted a few of the Q & A items from the live event here.  Feel free to ask your questions - we have experts eagerly waiting to help you out.

And don't forget, you can get your free 60-day trial of Data Protection Advisor here.

Backup Game Day II Q&A recap:

Q:  Can you talk a bit on how the new Analytical Engine within the DPA adds value?

A:  The new DPA engine provides REAL-TIME services predictability, as well as cross-domain event correlation. Imagine being able to visualize across your entire data protection environment to see chances and status!

Q:  What backup products are supported with DPA?

A:  DPA supports virtually all backup solutions/applications, including EMC Avamar, EMC Data Domain, EMC NetWorker, Symantec Veritas NetBackup, Backup Exec, and PureDisk; CA ARCserve; CommVault Simpana; HP Data Protector; Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN), and IBM Tivoli Storage Manager   

Q:  Can DPA produce provide "used capacity" reports for replicated multi-tenant targets?

A:  Yes DPA can provide "used capacity" reports for replicated multi-tenant targets.

Q:  What kind of reporting is available for VMware servers? Can DPA tell me which virtual machines are backed up and which are not?

A:  DPA can identify both virtual and physical machines that have not been backed up. In addition DPA can report on resource consumption of the VM servers.

Q:  Can DPA report on "consumed capacity" for data replicated to multi-tenant grids, at the domain level?

A:  Depending upon the backend storage, DPA can report on consumed capacity for replication.

Q:  With DPA, can I create chargeback reports based on different criteria for different customers? For example, charge one customer $0.10 per GB backed up and another customer $0.20 per GB backed up?

A:  DPA allows users to setup chargeback by customer, by organization and/or by business unit.

32 Posts

March 25th, 2013 06:00

Who has taken advantage of the Data Protection Advisor free 60-day trial?

73 Posts

March 25th, 2013 09:00

If you haven't tried the 60-day trial of DPA yet, you should.

Virtually every aspect of using DPA has been made easier - easy to install, easy to configure, easy to use.  And FAST.  We're talking about being able to install DPA 6 and to start collecting data within a couple of minutes.  We had one customer accomplish this in just 5 minutes.  And you can install and configure DPA on your own - there's no need for professional services.

Give it a try and tell us about your experiences.

32 Posts

March 26th, 2013 06:00

Did you know that Data Protection Advisor 6 provides real-time services predictability?  If you had real-time visibility and insight across your data protection environment, what would you want to keep an eye on (that you couldn’t before)?

32 Posts

March 26th, 2013 06:00

We’ve had customers install and configure Data Protection Advisor in as little at 5 minutes on their own.  What was your experience?

32 Posts

March 27th, 2013 10:00

Having trouble keeping an eye on your Backup VM’s, particularly as you vMotion them around?  Have you used DPA to help gain visibility into the protection of these VM’s?

32 Posts

March 27th, 2013 11:00

Thank you Tom.  These are great examples.  Does anyone else have a DPA success story they would like to share?

73 Posts

March 27th, 2013 11:00

Since DPA is vMotion aware, it tracks virtual data movement with assigned protection policies—for both backup and replication—to provide confidence that virtualized mission-critical applications are protected.  So, if a VM which is protected by a specific policy is moved but the policy isn’t moved with it, DPA will automatically create an alert.   DPA also automatically notifies administrators of unprotected virtual machines.

Example:  if, overnight, the Oracle administrator spins up a couple of new VM’s but DOESN’T apply a protection policy to them (and doesn’t tell the backup administrator…..), those VM’s aren’t monitored, they aren’t going to be backed up, and therefore they are not protected.  DPA will automatically create an alert to the unprotected VM’s.

Would this visibility into the protection of your virtualized environment help you sleep better at night? Tell us your story about how DPA identified 30 new, unprotected VM’s and allowed you to apply the proper protection policy.  Or, ask a question about how DPA does this….it’s pretty impressive!

141 Posts

March 28th, 2013 04:00

With the new cross-domain functionality of the Analysis Engine you can take your alerting capabilities to the next level. Instead of just alerting when a certain condition is met (my backup failed), you can now alert when conditions across multiple objects are met. For example, a backup failed and the CPU utilization on that client was over 85%, or a switch port is down and these are the hosts/clients connected to that switch port that will be affected.

32 Posts

March 28th, 2013 05:00

For those that are taking advantage of the DPA trial, what was your first impression?  Your second?  What benefits have you realized?  Let us know and ask us any questions – we’re listening.

20 Posts

March 28th, 2013 08:00

It took a bit more then 5 minutes.  Only because I didn't see the 2 cpu requirement.   Had to reboot to adjust the vCPU's.

20 Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

I have a question.  I'm creating a report that I want emailed.  How can I change the order?  So as an example, the "Backup All Clients" report.  I want it sorted by the client column.   Under Modify Custom Template(I maid my own copy), I found under advanced a "Order Flag".  It doesn't appear to do anything for me.

141 Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

The order flag is on the data source and will therefore order the data returned from the data source, however the subsequent operators may affect that ordering. I would recommend adding an Order operator (under the Misc category of operators) at the end of the report flow, to control the order of the data to be displayed.

HTH

David

David Russell

EMC

No Events found!