Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 9th, 2016 12:00

Avamar inconsistent data collection

Not sure if anyone has run into this.  The first couple weeks I had DPA running against Avamar, when I navigated down thru the inventory, in DPA, /Groups..../EMC Avamar/..../Backup Domain, I had a domain that had five VM's in it, which matched what was in Avamar, so my domain was /myvcenter/VirtualMachines/Dev_VMs.  I had five VM's there that matched what was in Avamar. 

This week I noticed that all five were gone but one VM was listed in DPA that was a VM that was removed from Avamar over a month ago and wasn't one of those five listed last week, and not retired, fully deleted.  I also notice when I run an Unconfigured/Unprotected report, it shows all sorts of old VM's that aren't in Avamar and some not even in vCenter any longer.  Just wondering if anyone has seen something like this before and curious where the heck the stale data comes from and why the DPA inventory isn't showing what is actually supposed to be there but shows things that no longer exist.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, being that I'm still only a month in with DPA, I might reload but figure may just run into the same issue again, so far I'm having a like/not-so-like relationship with DPA.  Thanks.

1.2K Posts

November 9th, 2016 14:00

Are the VMs showing up the RETIRED Domain in Avamar?

89 Posts

November 9th, 2016 14:00

No, these were ones I deleted outright from Avamar so didn't go Retired.  Just for testing purposes I removed the Avamar server from DPA and will try and add it again in the morning and see if that does anything.  The one other I noticed was VM's I would add to Avamar wouldn't be added to the Avamar domain object in DPA either, but if I added the VM to a group in Avamar it would update in DPA and show up in the domain.

That's why the unconfigured report became useless, because without the VM showing up in the DPA inventory it had no idea that it even existed.  Adding it to the group obviously makes it "configured" so the report becomes not very useful.  Weird thing is "technically" all VM's are apart of the "Default VM Group" so it does have a group affiliation, so just not sure really. 

No Events found!