Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2013 09:00

DPA 5.8: Setting a graph's axis and data values?

I've written a simple report in DPA to show data rates for TSM migrations over a period of time. The table form of the report easily comes out to what I want:

Day Sub Name Storage Pool Status Rate (GB)
03/05/2013 TSMPRA03 archivepool success 2.814
03/06/2013 TSMPRA03 archivepool success 2.887
03/05/2013 TSMPRA03 backuppool success 4.494
03/6/02013 TSMPRA03 backuppool success 5.536

However, when I try to convert this to a line chart, DPA doesn't group my data by date, sub name, storage pool, and success as I intend; I get distinct lines of data for each line of data in the table. Furthermore, the legend for each line of data includes the start-time of a migration backup, even though those were dropped with jobs were aggregated by a "Group By" operator.

The Report User Guide is maddenly terse about how line graphs are defined and manipulated.

How can I influence how the line graph groups data?

Thanks,

Nick

Message was edited by: Nick Laflamme ETA attachment of XML of report

1 Attachment

141 Posts

March 13th, 2013 01:00

Hi Nick,

The way the line graph works is that the X axis is plotted using the timestamps associated with the data. I do not believe there is a way to choose what field you want to use for the timestamp. I believe this is what is causing the issue, as you want to use the date field, however it is not possible.

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC

37 Posts

March 13th, 2013 12:00

Rats.

OK, time to fall back to exporting tables of data and using a tool with better graphing options, I guess -- and hope that DPA 6 somehow loosens up in this area.

141 Posts

March 14th, 2013 02:00

Hi Nick,

Could you attach the report defintion to the thread? I would like to see if it can be written differently so that the line chart will work as you desire.

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC

37 Posts

March 14th, 2013 07:00

Added to the original post.

Non-TSM shops (in other words, most of you!) will want to change the "TSM Migration" source to something else,but the logic should be similar. It's an attempt to compute daily data transfer rates, which almost certainly could be used with backup job detail records just as well, for example.

141 Posts

March 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately it does not seem possible to use a line graph, due to my earlier explanation.

I will raise an enhancement for this so that it can be considered for future versions.

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC

37 Posts

March 15th, 2013 09:00

At this point, I'm not opening new incidents against 5.8; I'm telling myself all will be wonderful once we get DPA 6 installed. I will, of course, open cases against points that prove otherwise.

No Events found!