Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2011 11:00

DPA Report Card view of NetApp Filer volumes?

Hi. I am looking for any suggestions or feedback for configuring a "Report Card" view of NetWorker backups of NetApp Filer volumes.

At one of my data centers I have six NetApp filers, each with about 30 to 60 volumes. We use NetWorker 7.61 with direct ndmp to backup these volumes over the SAN to LTO4 drives. The NetApp volumes are between 300 Gb and 2 TB in size. In NetWorker I have the six filers as Clients, with each volume being it's own Client. My Groups are set-up to contain 1 or 2 volumes each.

We really like the "Report Card" in Data Protection with the "One Week" window to get a nice gree\red overview of our server\client based backups.

When I run this kind of Report Card for my six NetApp filers I only get six rows, one for each 'Backup Client'

What I want is a Report Card that has a row for each NetApp volume. I need to get the SaveSet value of the volume to be treated like the Node volume of the Client.

Output something like:

Node                                                                         2 Mar       3 Mar     4 Mar      5 Mar

netapp_filer_01:/vol/us_accounting                       Green      Green     Red        Green

netapp_filer_01:/vol/us_hr                                      Green         Red      Green

netapp_filer_02:/vol/us_email_server01

netapp_filer_03:/vol/us_file_server02

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Eric

59 Posts

March 4th, 2011 03:00

yes, this can easily be done but will require a custom report.   Firstly, if you want to group by Saveset, you will need to provide the saveset field to the report, so copy and mofify the Report Card report and on the Properties of the "Num Save Sets" (or "Nuim Jobs" depending on what terminology you are using), on the Group By tab, tick/check the "saveset" field as well ie. group by client, status and saveset.

Then in the Report Appearance Toolbar , use the Field Mapping icon (the yellow cylinder) to multi-select BOTH the client and the saveset field and that should do the trick.

If you want to use the drill-downs as well, you will also need to create custom versions of the Backup Save Set Summary and those it calls - and the change would be to pass the saveset name through to each drill down report too.

I have tested this in our demo environment 

rc2.jpgrc1.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 20:00

Hi Eric - I recently created something similar.  This is a report card that uses "Backup Jobs" instead of clients as the node.  Take a look at the sample below.

Screen shot 2011-03-04 at 10.53.09 AM.png

You should be able to modify it for groups as you mentioned pretty easily.  I will paste the XML below:

Thanks

JP

978Backup Filer Volumes-TEST-falsefalse1com.sysdm.wysdm.guireport.renderers.tablebased.reportcard.ReportCardRendererBackup Filer VolumesNum Jobstrue0122-10Num JobsIntjob_nameStringstatusStringstatusjob_name0truetrueNum JobsInttrueJobStringtrueStatusStringtruetrueJobStatusNum JobsJobascending1DAYUser SelectedUser SelectedUser SelectedUser SelectedUser SelectedUser SelectedUser SelectedUser Selectedlatest_last

March 4th, 2011 02:00

Eric

You need to change the properties of the report card to use the saveset name as the node name - hit the little triangle in the top left of the report then click on the gold volume icon and you get something like this:

field mapping.jpg

It may be what you are hoping to do is have server/client as the node; however I have found no way of combining two non-numeric fields together to make one.

March 4th, 2011 04:00

Thanks for posting that Elvin, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get two fields to be the node without success.  Now if I can just remember the report I wanted to do that on...!

10 Posts

March 4th, 2011 15:00

JPinTokyo,

Thanks for the feedback.

10 Posts

ElvinKan,

Perfect! I followed your suggestions and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge with me. This feature takes our DPA reporting to a new level and gives my team a really nice tool to help manage our NetWorker backups of our storage. I just joined this ECN forum this week and it was really coolfour respo my question in the first day. I hope I can return the favor someday. Take care.

10 Posts

David,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion!

No Events found!