Data Protection Advisor

Last reply by 10-30-2019 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum
1310

DPA "Maximum" operator - syntax issue, or not working as designed?

Trying to create a report from scratch - customer wants to know the largest backup for each client over the course of the last month, in terms of scanned size (i.e. how much data is being "protected"). Figured that the "Maximum" operator would be the perfect fit, but it doesn't seem to be working as advertised.

DPA template structure is very basic -  Backup Job Details -> Maximum operator -> Report

I have it operating on the scanned size, and I have the operator interval set at "0 days" - which the documentation implies will theoretically only display one entry (or at least that's how I interpreted it), but it isn't doing that. If I set the time period for the report to 1 month, and have the operator interval at 0 days, the report displays 30 days of results for each client, not one (albeit, with the correct scanned size displayed).

However, it's not just that - if I set the time period of the report to 1 week instead of 1 month, it displays 7 days of results for each client - but they are all listed as 0 bytes. And they definitely aren't, because they were displayed as non-zero when I had the time period set to 1 month.

Has anyone had any luck using the Maximum operator, or creating a report like this using some other method? All comments/feedback appreciated - thanks.

Replies (2)
3 Argentum
1297

You can try "Estimated Protected Backup Capacity Details" report. This will show you the full backup for each client.

1287

Thank you for the reply - that is certainly an alternative approach. However, for this particular customer, they are used to getting the largest value from a sampling over time - and from what I can tell from the DPA template, the "Estimated Protected Backup Capacity Details" report only looks at the last backup (which would likely be the largest value most of the time, but is not necessarily guaranteed to be the largest value - plus it's only one sample). Also FWIW, the "as built" version of the report is not configured to display the column pertaining to  SQL backups - I had to change the table format in order to show the info for those clients. But definitely a good report to have for a point in time view of protected data totals.

Also, as a follow up, I was previously looking at Backup Statistics as well as Backup Details as data sources for this info - but there are some aspects of Backup Statistics that aren't explicitly clear with respect to whether the information is for one entry out of many or whether it is for a total over the whole time period, so I gave up on  that as the data source and am using Backup Details. Now, if I could only figure out how to limit the output to one entry per client, and actually have it show up that way (the way I am doing it now, it only displays one single client on one single line).

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor