Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2014 06:00

Oracle Database Content Management for DPA

All,

In the past on my iAnywhere database, the EMC Implementation Consultant stated that we would manually have to periodically delete data from the wysdm_logging, collector_jobs, and ae_alert tables within the DATAMINE tablespace.  I had  a script that would run that weekly.  Now, I have moved my backend database to Oracle, and those tables are flooding the storage on there, which is making my DBAs unhappy.  Is there a process that I can use to delete data from those tables to keep my space utilization under control?

Right now, this DPA database is growing faster than my global ERP database, which does not seem right to me.

Thanks,

--Blake

66 Posts

With DPA v5.8 you can use Datamine Maintenance Plans to keep DB table size growth under control.

If you're monitoring your Oracle DB with DPA you can generate a report listing the top 10 largest tables as well as the fastest growing tables to see which tables are taking up all the space.

Then go to Tools / Datamine Maintenance Plan Editor and create a new maintenance plan. For plan items you can select NORMAL items from a drop-down list which allows you to set how much data you want to keep for various groups and types. For example, you could select group "fcswitch", type "performance" and minimum age of "4 weeks" to get DPA to delete all Fibre Channel Switch performance data that is older than 4 weeks.

Under ADVANCED type you can select specific tables for cleanup, such as "wysdm_logging" and "collector_jobs".

Once you've created a plan you need to apply it to a point under the CONFIGURATION tree in order to activate the plan. While you can apply it at the very top (CONFIGURATION) be aware that it will then run against all objects in the database and if there is a lot of data to clean-up initially it could cause database log files to fill up, so tread carefully. If you're never run these plans before then create and apply the plan in such a way that you don't try and cleanup a lot of historical data for all objects at once.

To apply the plan right click an object in the tree, go to properties, then assignations, and add the datamine maintenance plan you created.

Regards,

Gareth

Thanks Gareth.  I have enabled a maintenance plan job to see if that will make my DBA happier.  It is currently only set up for those 4 logging tables.  I had those set up for other groups of data, but not specifically for certain tables.

Thanks

--Blake

No Events found!