Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2016 14:00

"Secure Innovations TCS Service" hangs the UserProfile Creation

Hello All.  We noticed recently as we are working on our Windows 10 migration there was a problem after we installed DDPE verions 8.9.3.7766.

If we prep a clean Windows 10 image and installed Dell Data Protection Credant Encryption product.  There are no issues until another user try to log in for the first time.  When a new user logs in, the desktop will load with no icons on the desktop and the system is no longer responsive.

We discovered that if we disable the "Secure Innovations TCS Service", then we delete the corrupted user profile in "C:\Users" and then delete the ProfileLIst in the registry.  Then the user is able to log back in successfully and their profile is created successfully.  At this point, you can turn back on this service if you need it and there are no issues.

The problem only occurs for new users logging in for the first time on the system when their User Profile is created.

What I did next was try to isolate the problem by installing DDPE on a clean system by itself with nothing on it.  The service will install, but it's not running.

What I would like to know is "What enables this service"?  Is there another software program that enables this service?  For instance, maybe when McAfee runs a scan?  Or maybe something else?

Yes, I know we can disable it in the GPO, but would turning off this security feature compromise our system?  I understand it's used for finger print log in and encryption, but we don't use finger print scanning on our hardware.

Any feedback would be great.

156 Posts

September 21st, 2016 05:00

Hi TheInfamousOne17!

the Security innovations TCS Service is an application and set of drivers that allows for Dell Data Protection to communicate with the TPM and a special piece of hardware called the HCA (Hardware Crypto Accelerator). This second piece of hardware is being deprecated currently, and will no longer be used in the product. You can safely remove this software from security innovations with no impact to the DDP | E software since you are not leveraging the HCA.

this product is installed as a secondary driver within the DDP | E installed, and is currently being removed from the product for future releases due to the deprecation of the HCA hardware. 

I hope this helps!

October 21st, 2016 09:00

Hello, we revisited this recently and we deprecated the TSC Service and we are still having issues with the secondary user log in.  the Dell DDPE is still causing an issue with profile corruption when a new user logs into a windows 10 computer..  Can someone give us some feedback to see if this is a known issue?

156 Posts

October 21st, 2016 10:00

Hi again, TheInfamousOne17!

Without further information it would be extremely difficult for us to determine where your issues are coming from. I would highly suggest opening a ticket with our support group by calling 877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039 if you are in the US. If you are outside of the US, you can find our international numbers here: 

International Contact numbers list

I apologize for not being able to provide further information via the forum, but this will require an understanding of how your environment is building profiles, and a look at your encryption policies as well.

January 23rd, 2024 22:12

Hello TheInfamousOne1,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about the Secure Innovations TCS Service issue during UserProfile Creation, especially in the context of your Windows 10 migration and the installation of DDPE version 8.9.3.7766.

It's unfortunate to hear about the challenges you've encountered with new user logins and the subsequent desktop issues. I appreciate the detailed steps you've taken to isolate the problem and your diligence in troubleshooting.

Regarding your inquiry about what enables the Secure Innovations TCS Service, this service is typically associated with security features such as fingerprint login and encryption. While you've mentioned that your hardware doesn't utilize fingerprint scanning, it's essential to consider the broader security implications before making any changes.

To Address Your Specific Questions:

Enabling the Service

The Secure Innovations TCS Service is usually triggered during user login for fingerprint authentication and encryption purposes. It's possible that other security software or processes, such as McAfee scans, might interact with this service. However, pinpointing the exact trigger may require further investigation.

Disabling in GPO

While disabling the service via Group Policy is a workaround, it's crucial to evaluate the potential security impact. Turning off this service might compromise certain security features, so it's recommended to thoroughly assess the implications for your system's overall security posture.

To proceed, I would recommend the following steps:

1. Vendor Support: Reach out to the support channels of the DDPE and Secure Innovations TCS Service providers. They might provide insights into the service's dependencies and potential interactions with other software.
  2. System Logs: Examine system logs during the user login process to identify any error messages or events associated with the Secure Innovations TCS Service. This could offer additional clues about what might be causing the issue.
  3. Testing Environment: If feasible, set up a controlled testing environment to simulate different scenarios and identify any software conflicts that could trigger the problem.
  4. Security Impact Assessment: Work closely with your security team to assess the impact of disabling the service. Understanding the potential trade-offs will help you make an informed decision.

Remember to back up configurations before making any changes to ensure you can revert if needed. I hope these suggestions guide you toward resolving the issue. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards,

Taniya Mukherjee

1 Message

January 28th, 2024 14:06

@TaniyaMukherjee​ 

Hello TheInfamousOne1,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about the Secure Innovations TCS Service issue during UserProfile Creation, especially in the context of your Windows 10 migration and the installation of DDPE version 8.9.3.7766.

It's unfortunate to hear about the challenges you've encountered with new user logins and the subsequent desktop issues. I appreciate the detailed steps you've taken to isolate the problem and your diligence in troubleshooting.

Regarding your inquiry about what enables the Secure Innovations TCS Service, this service is typically associated with security features such as fingerprint login and encryption. While you've mentioned that your hardware doesn't utilize fingerprint scanning, it's essential to consider the broader security implications before making any changes.

To Address Your Specific Questions:

Enabling the Service

The Secure Innovations TCS Service is usually triggered during user login for fingerprint authentication and encryption purposes. It's possible that other security software or processes, such as McAfee scans, might interact with this service. However, pinpointing the exact trigger may require further investigation.

Disabling in GPO

While disabling the service via Group Policy is a workaround, it's crucial to evaluate the potential security impact. Turning off this service might compromise certain security features, so it's recommended to thoroughly assess the implications for your system's overall security posture.

To proceed, I would recommend the following steps:

1. Vendor Support: Reach out to the support channels of the DDPE and Secure Innovations TCS Service providers. They might provide insights into the service's dependencies and potential interactions with other software.
  2. System Logs: Examine system logs during the user login process to identify any error messages or events associated with the Secure Innovations TCS Service. This could offer additional clues about what might be causing the issue.
  3. Testing Environment: If feasible, set up a controlled testing environment to simulate different scenarios and identify any software conflicts that could trigger the problem.
  4. Security Impact Assessment: Work closely with your security team to assess the impact of disabling the service. Understanding the potential trade-offs will help you make an informed decision.

Remember to back up configurations before making any changes to ensure you can revert if needed. I hope these suggestions guide you toward resolving the issue. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards,

Taniya Mukherjee

Thanks for sharing.

No Events found!