Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

August 25th, 2021 19:00

Can't access EMS protected data on USB Thumbdrive

New message popped up tonight - 

• All encryption key material has been deleted!  Please re-insert the media into a shielded computer.  You must be logged in with the same user account that Shielded this media device.

However, that is not possible... I've been using this thumbdrive on a variety of laptops and desktops for the last few years, including the laptop I'm currently trying to access the information with.  The original machine is no longer available. 

What has changed in the last few days????

How do I get around this?

• 

145 Posts

August 31st, 2021 10:00

Hi @LDB59!

Usually we will see this error \ message on USB devices where data in our hidden \ protected folder has been corrupted or deleted.  Since you are unable to put the removable device into the original machine our best course of option is to recover the data, format the drive, and then set the drive up to be protected again.  Once the removable device is setup for protection again we can copy your data back on to the device.

This guide starting on page 12 will walk through how to recover data from your removable device.  https://dl.dell.com/topics/pdf/dell-dp-endpt-security-suite-enterprise_administrator-guide8_en-us.pdf

The tools you will need to assist in the recovery can be downloaded from here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=j1w13&oscode=wt64a&productcode=dell-data-protection-encryption 

Depending on if your work manages the encryption or if you protected it via Dell Data Protection | Personal Edition will determine where we can get a recovery bundle for the device from.  Rhe recovery bundle mentioned will either be on a business server that used Dell Data Protection to encrypt their devices or if you were on the personal edition the recovery bundle will be wherever it was backed up to. 

No Events found!