Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 30th, 2016 04:00

Unable to Update ControlVault Driver due to 1316 Error

I am trying to update my ControlVault driver and firmware (and then Security Tools) to the latest but cannot install the driver or uninstall the old one due to the following error:

MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: SECREPAIR: CryptAcquireContext succeeded
MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: Determining source type
MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\Windows\Installer\CVHCI64.msi 3: -2147287038
MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: Note: 1: 1316 2: C:\Windows\Installer\CVHCI64.msi
MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: SECREPAIR: Error determining package source type
MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:04:59:025]: SECUREREPAIR: SecureRepair Failed. Error code: 5242CB7130
Error 1316.The specified account already exists.

MSI (s) (E8:A4) [06:05:00:663]: Product: Dell ControlVault Host Components Installer 64 bit -- Error 1316.The specified account already exists.

The only account in the System Tools is my account with admin privileges which cannot be removed.

28 Posts

December 30th, 2016 06:00

I fully uninstalled both the ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Sensor (Biometric) and the Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Sensor (ControlVault) in Device Manager (Show Hidden Devices to see missing devices), rebooted, and then reran the upgrade.  I then ran the firmware upgrade to bring everything up-to-date.

I went into DDP to re-enroll my fingerprints and it is scanning properly but says "fingerprint already enrolled" but there aren't any fingerprints showing as enrolled.  So, how do I clear the ControlVault cache so DDP will enroll my fingerprints again (or at least think they are enrolled so I can use them to log in)?

156 Posts

January 9th, 2017 07:00

Hi Pete!

We do have reset tools available for the ControlVault. Could you DM me the computer model that you are running so I may reply back with the current reset tools for that specific device?

Thanks!

February 2nd, 2017 09:00

Hello Dale I too have a similar problem, Could you please provide me with the reset tool for my PC as well.

28 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 14:00

I tried the reset in DDP and it appeared ineffective.  There was no reset tool in the ControlVault firmware or driver directories (as there was in the past).  I ended up trying the DDP reset and then -uninstalling- DDP and using Microsoft's Hello instead.  While less telling as what might already be in the fingerprint reader, I was able to register all fingers and thumbs such that Hello works every time.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2017 02:00

Hi Dale,

i tried nearly everything to solve the silmilar problem for Latitude E7470. German Dell support now suggested to reinstall my OS (windows 7). So one more last try before reinstalling windows. Is there any reset tool for the ControlVault (model5834(?), FW 4.5.13.0, Driverversion 4.5.16.46) on Dell Latitude E7470?

Would be very lucky for an advice.

Thanks!

Tina

• 

146 Posts

February 15th, 2017 06:00

Hello Pete and Tina,

Let's have you reach out to our dedicated support queue for the DDP software and see if they can  WebEx with you to figure out what's going on.  They are available 24/7 at the following number \ extension.  877.459.7304 Ext. 4310039

Thanks!

Stephen

L4 Support

2 Posts

February 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi Stephen,

i'm in Germany! :-(

So there's no official tool to clear fingerprints or reset the touch sensor to factory settings?

I tried ushdiag, but that doesn't work.

My problem began, when i had to remove laptop from domain and add it once again. My fault was not to remove my fingerprints from DDP|ST before. Now they are obviously saved somewhere "deeply" in my latitudes system.

Tina

2 Posts

February 28th, 2017 19:00

I have a brand new E5570 with the same problem.  Laptop was renamed and fingerprints won't re-enroll as the old ones are still trapped in ControlVault hardware.  Reverted name, reinstalled DDP and drivers and everything, cleared TPM, pushed the useless clear button in DDP/ST, even rolled back Windows (actual hd image taken as it was being setup). ushdiag doesn't even work for me, just locks up the system when run from DOS.

Not sure how to direct msg on here. Can u post a link to a reset tool?  Seems several people here have the same issue.

Ian

2 Posts

March 4th, 2017 10:00

Dell Data Protection tech support was able to provide a hardware reset tool. While this did clean out the reader it did not clean out latent data in Windows. The "This finger is already enrolled" error persisted after all sorts of heroics.  (Tech support was very good, btw. Thank you.)  I installed a fresh copy of Windows on a different SSD and was able to find a few places the system writes to while enrolling. The fresh install did work after all of the hardware resets, but I really didn’t want to re-do all my apps, etc.  While trying various reg keys and files, the final steps that worked were:  Uninstall DDP|ST and drivers.  Delete files within c:\windows\system32\WinBioDatabase\.  This is where I saw a .DAT file that was dated when I renamed the computer and a newer file dated today.  Reboot then reinstall drivers and DDP|ST. Worked perfectly.  Now there are two new .dat files in that folder so obviously one was stuck from before. Among the other steps tried: clear TPM. Reset fingerprint data in Control Panel/Biometrics. Dell app reinstalls. Driver uninstall/reinstalls.  Registry cleanouts. Rolled back windows via hard drive image to when I first built it, but apparently not back far enough.  Tried an install from a VM which forced a reader firmware update, but then DDP|ST won’t install as it didn't dectect Dell hardware.  That lead to trying a fresh Windows install and a bunch of process monitoring.  Hope this helps!

Moral of the story:  Don’t rename it and don’t join/leave a domain without flushing all enrollments first!

156 Posts

March 30th, 2017 08:00

Hi tinmueller, were you able to contact our support team in germany to get the USH Reset tool? we do not have this online currently, but we are working on making it so. you can contact our queues internationally based on this KB article:

www.dell.com/.../

May 21st, 2017 03:00

Thanks IStewart.

I've been searching for a fix to this problem for 2-3 months now. I purchased a new Palmrest thinking it may be a hardware issue, uninstalled and reinstalled DDP|ST countless times, Set & Reset my TPM.... I've almost been totally consumed trying to resolve this and your solution worked. I didn't bother uninstalling DDP|ST. I just removed the two files in c:\windows\system32\WinBioDatabase\. I logged into DDP and was able to enroll my fingerprints as if they have never been enrolled before. I guess what concerns me is the vulnerability of how easy it is to remove or even manipulate these two data files! Anyway thanks again mate.

Cheers John.

January 4th, 2019 20:00

Since my Latitude E7450 migrated to Windows 10, my fingerprint-reader was no-longer available. I've seen that upgrade should solve it, but automatic upgrade from "dell command update" was failling.

When trying to update manually with "Security_Driver_HGX2G_WN64_3.4.8.14_A20" I had this error message "Product: Dell ControlVault Host Components Installer 64 bit -- Error 1316.The specified account already exists."
After trying unsuccessfully everything found here, i finally succeded.

I don't know if all actions listed in this thread are necessary, I deleted files in windows biometry, I deleted hardware components in windows, deleted "C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom USH Host Components" (uninstall was not available), cleared TPM data from bios, etc.

Finaly i found in C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\{377E0438-4A70-4543-8DD5-52E577E67E11} a file CVHCI64.msi dated from 2016-05-22

I made right-clic -> uninstall

This worked and seems to have completely unregistered previous "account".

Note that next, installation i made from C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\{7B4CF9EF-F0AE-40E8-86D5-6AAE9E132DC6} where a file CVHCI64.msi dated from today.
and then i followed install steps with firmware upgrade "ControlVault_Setup_HTF2M_3.4.10.0_A41_ZPE" C:\dell\Drivers\HTF2M\firmware\ushupgrade.exe (require reboot at the end)

:-)

Conclusion : Windows might have partially forgoten the product was installed, logically it should have been listed in "add/remove programs" and also latest installer should have detected it and automatically removed first during install procedure.

1 Message

January 29th, 2019 11:00

Thank you, this solution works perfectly (after I messed around and wasted 2 hours beforehand).

4 Posts

May 29th, 2019 06:00

I was having this issue with a Windows 10 Latitude E5470.  My solution was using an old copy of the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to remove the installed version.   After that I was able to install the new version just fine.

No Events found!