Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AP

September 18th, 2017 04:00

Upgrade DDP Server / DDP Agents

Hello

We are considering the server and client agent upgrade. Currently we are running server at 9.6 and agent on 8.12.0.26. I'm wondering if you could share any insight if the change plan covers everything that might happen

Server upgrade process sounds rather easy:
1. backup database
2. VM snapshot
3. Stop services on main server and proxy server
4. Run upgrade on main server (next next next) 
5. Run upgrade on proxy server
6. Start services
7. Test

Agent upgrade: 
1. Find out the proper switch to run upgrade unattended
2. Roll out using deployment software

Several questions are in the background: how are agents and servers compatible with each other? Can older agent successfully talk to a newer server? Are there any magic prerequisites that we need to complete? Have you heard about any major outages with such upgrade? 

Thanks in advance!

AlexP

• 

145 Posts

September 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi Alex,

Great questions!  Below I will list out the answers but if I miss anything please let me know.

Q: How are agents and servers compatible with each other?

A: The current server (9.8.2) supports all agents even going back to when we were Credan't Technologies.

Q: Can older agent successfully talk to a newer server?

A: Absolutely.  Depending on the agent version it may talk to the server on 8443 or 8081.  8443 represents our Security Server service that all agents dating back to 2013 should be using.  8081 is our device server service and can be disabled if you don't have any pre-8.x version agents.

Q: Are there any magic prerequisites that we need to complete?

A: From the server and agent version you provided I do not believe there are any new pre-requisites the current generation client would need.

Q: Have you heard about any major outages with such upgrade?

A: Everything should go smoothly but I would make step three the first step in the server upgrade workflow.  This will ensure no clients can communicate to the server and no policy or server changes will happen before the backup is taken.  It will also ensure a cleaner snapshot in the case you should have to roll back but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

• 

145 Posts

September 18th, 2017 08:00

As a follow up the below guides might help provide some additional information.

This guide is our Technical Advisories for 8.15 and it will list out any known or fixed issues for the current and several previous releases.

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../dell-data-protection-encryption_user's guide7_en-us.pdf

This guide is our admin guide and on page 37 it has several command line examples to upgrade the agent.  The installation and upgrade command lines are the same so you can use the same installation package for new or existing installs.

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../dell-data-protection-encryption_administrator guide7_en-us.pdf

No Events found!