Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

16 Posts

August 19th, 2021 15:00

Dell Mobile Connect, high CPU usage

I upgrade recently from DMC 3.3 to the new version and the CPU usage is insane.

My Laptop: XPS 9300 UHD i7

Task Manager screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/DJNZCNB

Version: 4.0.6072.0

When the window is active and I'm using it to view/respond to messages the usage peaks to 25%, with an average of 15%. When the window is active and I'm not even touching it, usually around 7%-14%.

When the window is minimized or on a different desktop, using a different program or nothing at all, usage is still high around 5%-8%.

Only when I X out the program and allow it to run in tray does it run efficient around 0%-0.4%. The downside of having it run in tray/background is the text and call notifications don't appear to come through at all.

What's the deal with this program? I love this app by the way as well as the previous 3.3 app, but the 3.3 app never ramped up my laptop fans as soon as I started using it as far as I remember.

For comparison Firefox, not considered to be an energy efficient browser, only spikes to 10% CPU usage for brief moments (1-3 seconds) when doing things like loading new pages or logging in to websites. If you're sitting on a page and reading/scrolling an article, it chills around 1%. Average usage around 3%, minimized it's 0%-1%. This is with 10 tabs open like Gmail and Time-keeping websites constantly updating. Yet DMC idles at 10% constantly lol. Simply having DMC open drains more CPU than watching a 4K video on Youtube...

If this was a desktop I wouldn't care at all but this is a 4K laptop with a tiny battery. On top of that it's native software.

Anyone else notice this? Curious to know if it's maybe something wrong with my hardware/software.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 19th, 2021 22:00

it's native software: Naah it's not. Just because Dell makes it doesn't make it Native. It can have quarks and bugs

DMC4.0 : Testing and working fine 

@tlatch52 : I would suggest RESETTING the app. This will delete all app data and reinstall it 

Right click on DMD in start menu and choose App settings > RESET 

100 Posts

August 22nd, 2021 00:00

I have the same problem, even after app reset on my XP 15 9500.    17% cpu . reduced somewhat if I send it to background

16 Posts

August 24th, 2021 12:00

Yep same issues after resetting the app.

I'm just going to go back to using 3.3 until it's fixed I guess.

September 8th, 2021 09:00

Same issue, XPS 2-in1, consumes 20% CPU regardless of what it's doing so reduces battery from 6-7 hours to less than 3, effectively making it useless on the road.

@XPS_Man  Doesn't make any difference, and did this from clean install.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2021 09:00

In my case both CPU and SSD utilization was high initially 

I let it Sync ( had over 20000 Messages) and didn't allow it to Sync Media (pictures) 

After around an hour of letting it run ,every thing went normal 

100 Posts

September 12th, 2021 02:00

I left is running for many hours, didn't help. Still 17% CPU usage, (basically 100% on one cpu), I experimented with displaying different widgets and none, didn't help.

I would go back to V3, but that never worked for me (due to Android 11?)

100 Posts

October 6th, 2021 10:00

I went through a whole debugging  diagnostic sequence with their support, trying different things, nothing made a difference.  Running it in the background reduces the CPU usage, but sort of misses the point.

1 Message

October 6th, 2021 10:00

Same here, new app always using 100% of one core. Unusable.
XPS 17 9700 and Android 11

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 7th, 2021 11:00

All,

Check the version numbers in the Productivity Software- FAQ Productivity Software- FAQ DMC (Dell Mobile Connect).

Notice there are two versions of DMC 4.0 and two versions of the DMC Microsoft Store app. Make sure you have installed the latest for both. Then retest and post your results.

16 Posts

October 10th, 2021 19:00

Still having this issue even after installing the new DMC driver from the Products page.

When the window is active, CPU values are always between 10-25.

When minimized, CPU usage goes down slightly but not enough (8-13).

Only when running in background, with the application x'd out, it runs normally at (0-1) CPU. However, it doesn't receive text messages or notifications when running as a background task so there's no point...

dmc_win11_oct21.png

4 Posts

October 19th, 2021 09:00

Dell Mobile Connect vs 4.0 is not for mobile use.   Make sure BOTH your laptop AND phone are plugged in and charging.   It will drain both batteries within several hours.   Frustrating, this is a much better interface and unfortunately completely unusable.

100 Posts

October 31st, 2021 10:00

@MrWB 

I hope your confidence is justified.  Meanwhile, may I share a reasonable partial workaround.  I have also seen that the CPU use is reasonable when minimized, so I leave it minimized and allow WIndows notifications and pop-ups, so I get notified.  This is almost as useful as having the app visible on the screen.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2021 10:00

I feel I need to update this review.

It is clear the developers are working on this.   When minimized it only uses between 2-3% of the CPU.  CPU is still quite high with the Window open,   I am not sure why it would be needing CPU at that point.  I would love a real explanation.   On event driven systems, I don't see how this happens.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 1st, 2021 10:00

On October 8, Camusensei was asked to check the drivers site again. Reinstalled the Chipset, Video, other urgent drivers. Reported back that the issue had not returned. So not sure what really fixed the issue.

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

November 5th, 2021 12:00

What is the version that should work in MS Store? Have the same issue also with newest update available here 4.1.7498.0.

No Events found!