Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

September 18th, 2018 05:00

3.0 release issues - Slow deployments and missing groups

Hello team,

I've been testing the 3.0 release during the last few days and I've noticed a very poor transfer speed compared to the Tech Preview.

As an example I'm leaving a Lifecycle deployment I run yesterday (amazing it's been running for 16:54:31 hs and counting).

Untitled.png

Additionally seems the Discovery groups feature is messed up. I tried restarting the appliance with no luck.

Untitled.png

Regards,

Bruno

September 18th, 2018 07:00

In comparison with the Tech Preview, one of the deployments took 00:19:39 hs.

Same servers, same VLAN, vcenter, etc.

Untitled.png

1K Posts

September 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

Could you please help provide the task execution history details from one of the deployment tasks that you have executed?

Also, could you please point to the problem in discovery page about what is messed up? The discovery groups that used to get created in 1.0, have been removed in 3.0 and will no longer appear in the groups page.

September 19th, 2018 07:00

Hi Pupul,

I'm not sure what you need. The task was a deployment (Lifecycle, OS Collector, UEFI tools) deployed to a list of 30 servers. Took 35 hours before I canceled the job because only 14 servers were completed. I run the same task on the Tech Release and it completed in less than an hour in a 100 servers.

Untitled.png

Regarding the Discovery groups, why was this removed? How can we replace this feature? This was the only way to group servers with a certain criteria that can then be used to deploy Firmware.

Let me know if you need anything else I can provide logs or whatever is needed.

Thanks!

Bruno

1K Posts

September 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi,

I will put forward your request to the correct team so that they prioritize it for the next release.

For the deployment part, when you select an deployment job (the screenshot that you attached), you will see separate sub jobs for individual devices. What i want to look at, is the job details when you open one of those individual jobs which was in running state for a long time.

The more time taken could also be because of some slowness in the speed at which update packages were downloaded to OME from the source. Are you using Dell FTP or a local repository manager?

25 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 18:00

Disappointed to see the Discovery Groups go. I have over 800 PowerEdge servers I'm managing via iDRAC across multiple DC's and countries. This was my go-to for filtering by location and network. Now i need to rethink my strategy and manually place every server into groups.

Also, I was having a lot of bugs trying to apply Firmware Baselines to my entire 800+ server "System Group." The baselines would often show empty or not at all when I went to update firmware. My workaround was creating multiple Baselines with much smaller groups. It worked perfectly. I don't see an option to filter by network or IP in Query Groups. 

Chris

October 18th, 2018 11:00

Hi Pupul,

Sorry for the delay. I'm sending you the screenshot you requested. Any idea why the Discovery groups are no longer available? How are we supposed to replace them?

It was pretty easy to deploy firmware with that in mind, now i have to remove all servers every time and only add the ones I need to upgrade, really not intuitive or helpful at all.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

B

Untitled.png

October 18th, 2018 15:00

I'd say query groups are the replacement for discovery groups, would be curious why your problem can't be solved with those.

Though I will say @DELL-Pupul M, could you please get the developers to add a more obvious way to add a new query group than "go to devices -> all devices -> hover over 'query groups' -> click the 3 dots that appear -> click create new query group"

1K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for the details. I have forwarded your requests to the right set of folks who decide how a feature should look. I am sure it will be dealt with urgency.

No Events found!