Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2021 06:00

Dell R930: CBL 0003: backplane 2 connector a0 disconnected

Hello Experts,

we have DELL power edge R930 server, initially it had only one embedded raid controller card with 3 HDD, later we add another raid controller and add add 15 more HDD in it.  we able to see the both the raid controller card into bios, everything seems fine. 

but while booting it gives us some error and ask us to press f1 to continue........and other options. if we press f1 it boots normal but someone has to press f1 before it boots. so i disabled F1/F2 prompt from the bios now its boots but still its show the error on the booting screen. I have attached the screenshot of the error as well. 

fyi....we have four servers and we did this same into four server and all of them are having same issue. 

Now,

1. is there any issue if bring this server in production as its booting normal apart from this error? is it so critical? 

2:- is there any way we can clean this error msg from the screen? what can we do to resolve it?

thanks in advance. dell.jpeg

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 10th, 2021 05:00

You can also refer below video for details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3e5YZuZMls 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

I think integrated controller should have drive 0 to 11 mapped and add on controller should have drive 12 to 23 mapped. Can you swap cable on the back plane. The cable coming from the integrated controller (left side of the server) should go to the BP module on right side and cable coming from add on controller (right side of the server) should connect to BP module on the left. From the picture you shared on initial post, it looks reverse. Refer below diagram for details. I assume cable will also have SAS A and SAS B marked so ensure you are connecting to same SAS A/B port on the BP as well.

x24DualBP.png

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 14th, 2021 08:00

This error could be coming because of incorrect SAS cabling. I assume you are having 24 X 2.5 drive backplane. You can refer "Figure 7. Cabling— x24 backplane with dual PERC and dual SAS expander cards" diagram in below link on cabling for dual PERC configuration and check whether all cables are connected on your server.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r930/r930om/removing-the-hard-drive-backplane?guid=guid-4f684a50-780d-4bf7-a09a-ea7a87a70832&lang=en-us 

February 26th, 2021 04:00

Hello Shine,

thanks for sharing manual with me, i have gone through and i realize that both sas expander are connected to thier respecive raid controller card as it showen into the manual. 

1 SAS expander port  a  and b connected to integrated raid controller

2. sas expander port a and b connected to another raid controller. 

but only difference in my case is from the second sas expander port b 1 and a 1 connected to backplane jumper port. do we really need it? or should remove  all these port and just follow the manual where both sas expander connected to their respective raid controller only?

thanks in advance again.

• 

3.2K Posts

February 26th, 2021 05:00

Hi duahimanshu816,

please follow the manual to get a valid supported configuration.

regards Martin

March 3rd, 2021 02:00

Hello Martin, 

thanks, i followed the Manual, and remove the cable which is going towards to Backplane jumper port from sas adapter, still the same error showing while booting. do we need to reset the idrack or logs? 

• 

3.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2021 06:00

Yes that is correct duahimanshu816.

regards Martin

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 3rd, 2021 17:00

Can you share the part number of cables connected from backplane to controller. If possible share a picture of connection. 

Can you also ensure iDRAC, BIOS and PERC Controller firmware are upto date?

March 5th, 2021 02:00

Hello Shine,

Yes I did update the firmware for all and I am sure. 

Please see the link below showing the pic of the connection:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tdgpYBwuxQXB4AhbMBImw-ExK1G1Mf2l/view?usp=sharing

just to brief about the connection:- one sas adapter port a and b connecting to raid controller and another sas adapter port a and b connecting to another raid controller card. in the pic i also show the connection between the sas adapter and backplane jumper port which has been removed now so kinldy ignore those connection. 

find below the part numbers:-

0X4TTX

DELL 0X4TTX Perc H730p 12gb/s Pci-e 3.0 X8 Two Internal Mini Sas Raid Controller With 2gb Nv Flas

09HT8M

Dell 9HT8M Mini SAS HD 14" SFF-8643 Cable for Dell PowerEdge

085WG0

Dell PowerEdge R920 R930 Mini SAS HD Cable 085WG0

0KN3YV

SFF-8643 Dual Mini SAS Cable

0P6DGF

P6DGF Dell PowerEdge R920 R930 12Gbps SAS Expander Board

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 5th, 2021 03:00

Connectivity looks fine. As Stefan mentioned we need to check backplane mode it need to be one of the split mode. Can you check whether any of the controller is able to see all physical disks connected to the system

• 

790 Posts

March 5th, 2021 03:00

Hi.

Could you send me the systems ServiceTag in a private message, please?

And additionally please let me know what the backplane is set to.

Go to: iDRAC GUI: iDRAC > Storage > Enclosure > Setup

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/idrac7-8-lifecycle-controller-v2.40.40.40_users-guide_en-us.pdf (Page 215)

Per default, it is set to "Unified" - change it to one of the split modes.

Unified mode —This is the default mode. The primary PERC controller has access to all the drives connected to the backplane even if a second PERC controller is installed.

Split mode — One controller has access to the first 12 drives and the second controller has access to the last 12 drives. The drives connected to the first controller are numbered 0-11 while the drives connected to the second controller are numbered 12-23.

Split mode 4:20 — One controller has access to the first 4 drives and the second controller has access to the last 20 drives. The drives connected to the first controller are numbered 0-3 while the drives connected to the second controller are numbered 4-23.

Split mode 8:16 — One controller has access to the first 8 drives and the second controller has access to the last 16 drives. The drives connected to the first controller are numbered 0-7 while the drives connected to the second controller are numbered 8-23.

Split mode 16:8 — One controller has access to the first 16 drives and the second controller has access to the last 8 drives. The drives connected to the first controller are numbered 0-15 while the drives connected to the second controller are numbered 16-23.

Split mode 20:4 — One controller has access to the first 20 drives and the second controller has access to the last 4 drives. The drives connected to the first controller are numbered 0-19 while the drives connected to the second controller are numbered 20-23.

BR
Stefan

March 10th, 2021 03:00

Hello Stephan,

please, when i go to iDRAC GUI: iDRAC > Storage > Enclosure > Setup

its gives me this error:-RAC0503: There are no out-of-band capable controllers to be displayed. Check if the host system is powered off or shutdown.

its does not show me anything to configure, i tried to reset the idrac as well but still not luck. 

Firmware for both controller:- 25.5.8.0001 

firmware for IDrack:-2.75.100.75

from the bios i able to see both controller one of the controller accessing 6 drive and other is accessing 12 drives its by default we have not done anything, is there anything we need to do?

Br,

March 10th, 2021 04:00

Dear Shine,

please i cant see the option to change from unified mode to split mode:- when i go to idrac -storage-enclouser its gives me this error:- RAC0503: There are no out-of-band capable controllers to be displayed. Check if the host system is powered off or shutdown.

And from the Bios, I able to see integrated Raid controller able to access the drives from bay 12 to 17

And other raid controller able to access the from the bay 0 to 11.

hello shine the cables was connected fine as in diagram and the link you shared. 

but i tried to connect  left side sas adapter  to left side controller and right side sas adapter  to right side now default raid controller card accessing bay 0 to 11 and another raid card which is on slot 9 is accessing bay 12 to rest.

secondly, i can't see cable on the other side marked with port a and b on the raid controller side how can i identify the connection on the controller side?

third:- the link you shared, we have exactly the same scenario two raid controller card and two sas adapter. in this video i noticed there is two more cables from the right side sas adapter port b1 and a1 going towards to backplane jumper port BP1 and other, as you could see in the pic which i shared with you in initial port which i removed it. if i connect these cable or not nothing effects to my configuration servers works fine just the error shows while booting. 

why do we need those cables connection?

• 

790 Posts

March 10th, 2021 06:00

Hi.

Could you please identify which cables you miss?

BR
Stefan

No Events found!