Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2021 23:00

IDRA9 Series 4 REST API to configure remote syslog and enable alert configuration

Hi all,

I am referencing this document for IDRAC9 rest api:

iDRAC9 Redfish API Guide - Firmware version: 4.20.20.20

However, I could not find any api calls in this doc to configure remote syslog server on the IDRAC or how to enable alerting and configure them. Is this the correct document for this? 

Any advise is helpful. 

Thanks

Kelvin Wong

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

August 30th, 2021 20:00

You do not need to enable Telemetry to get alerts from iDRAC. To enable alert from iDRAC you need to set below attribute

"IPMILan.1.AlertEnable": "Enabled"

Currently there is no direct URI in redfish where you can can configure individual alerts. To set individual alerts you can use either racadm or Server Configuration Profile feature to configure alerts. 

You can find more details on server configuration profile from below link. 

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/dellemc-server-cloning-using-server-config-profile.pdf 

You can use redfish to export or import server configuration profile. Refer below link with details on same.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v4.x-series/idrac9_4.00.00.00_redfishapiguide_pub/supported-action-%E2%80%94-export,-import,-and-preview?guid=guid-3c9ff30c-5a17-4189-92e5-d050f7d07648&lang=en-us 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 31st, 2021 22:00

Ok.. i poke around. For enable all events for all existing notifcation options(mail, syslog, ws-man....)

racadm eventfilters set -c idrac.alert.all -a none -n all

and the to disable everything

racadm eventfilters set -c idrac.alert.all -a none -n none

I have validate this  by taking a look into iDRAC Webgui to verify the changes. The "help" command will display all the option names.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 30th, 2021 01:00

The official RestAPI for idrac can be found under https://developer.dell.com/apis/2978/versions/5.xx/docs/0WhatsNew.md

You can select another version in the upper left.

I cant help with your question. We do this kind of configuration with calling racadm directly. Right now iam strugling with configuring the alarm quick selection through racadm. I think they called it "sensors" or so.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

August 30th, 2021 03:00

You can patch to below API to configure remote syslog on iDRAC. 

redfish/v1/Managers/iDRAC.Embedded.1/Oem/Dell/DellAttributes/iDRAC.Embedded.1

{"Attributes":{
"SysLog.1.Port": 514,
"SysLog.1.Server1": "a.b.c.d",
"SysLog.1.Server2": "a.b.c.d",
"SysLog.1.Server3": "a.b.c.d",
"SysLog.1.SysLogEnable": "Enabled"
}}

13 Posts

August 30th, 2021 03:00

Thanks very much for this pointer. Do you know where can I look for these attributes in the Dell documentations or is this something we need to discover?

Also would you know how to set alert quick configuration and enable alert via rest api.. I presume it would be through attributes again?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

August 30th, 2021 04:00

you can configure all attributes using below API's in iDRAC. You can do get on these to get all supported attributes

"/redfish/v1/Managers/iDRAC.Embedded.1/Oem/Dell/DellAttributes/iDRAC.Embedded.1"

"/redfish/v1/Managers/iDRAC.Embedded.1/Oem/Dell/DellAttributes/System.Embedded.1"

"/redfish/v1/Managers/iDRAC.Embedded.1/Oem/Dell/DellAttributes/LifecycleController.Embedded.1"

You can refer below link for documentation on these attributes

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v4.x-series/idrac_4.00.00.00_racadm_ar_referenceguide/idrac-property-database-group-and-object-descriptions?guid=guid-636ac3f6-bd86-40bc-bf52-45988f3b079d&lang=en-us 

13 Posts

August 30th, 2021 18:00

Thank for the reply, I am pretty new to the redfish api. I have looked at whole documentation but I could not find any references to Quick Alert Configuration in any of the attributes. The closest I think is telemetry, my guess is telemetry = alert in IDRAC? But its attribute doesn't offer any "quick alert" settings. Below screenshot is what I am trying to achieve with rest api. 

My best guess is that I should do the following:

- Enable and set syslog attributes via iDRAC.Syslog

- Enable alert via iDRAC.Telemetry.EnableTelemetry

- Set rsyslog iDRAC.Telemetry.RSyslogServer1 (not sure why I still need to do this when syslog is defined above already)

- Set up all other telemetry sensors/metrics

- However, I still cannot find any attributes related to logging of security events in configuration tab of the alert configuration and other of those settings.

Any advise on this?

quickalert.png

alertconfig2.png

13 Posts

August 31st, 2021 18:00

Thanks a lot for these information, but from a customer's perspective, it looks the GUI developers of IDRAC in Dell don't talk to the rest api developers in Dell. The GUI developer produced a nifty quick configuration, but it nearly impossible to do the same with rest api.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 31st, 2021 22:00

@DELL-Shine K 

how to mark the alarms as active trough racadm? I dont talk about to set the email address and enable it for recieving messages. I struggling to enable all available alarms.

Edit: I found

racadm help eventfilters get

when trying to fetch the current settings it bailed out with

Note: usbarbitrar is enabled.
These commands may not work as expected.
Please disable usbarbitrar by running "/etc/init.d/usbarbitrator stop"

If i disable usbarbitrator the command runs for a while and returns nothing. Thats in idrac 5.00.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 31st, 2021 23:00

I get 6 VxRAILs tomorrow and i can tell you within the next weeks
But its a good question.... our Dell SC(Compellents) also include a iDRAC and we havent touch them(just password change). In the past i have seen iDRACs where some features are disabled and not visible.

Btw. we install the iDRAC Tools on ESXi (Dell offer a VIB) trough VUM/LCM.

Regards,
Joerg

13 Posts

August 31st, 2021 23:00

I have a question about RACADM, we are using VxRail and when I checked for downloads for RACADM, I cannot find VxRail as the compatible devices even though they are running IDRAC9. Anyone have RACADM working with IDRAC9 VxRail?

1 Message

October 25th, 2022 06:00

This is great info and has really helped me. I've noticed it's been over a year since this explanation. Have there been any updates to the API to include this functionality?

No Events found!