Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2019 03:00

OME 3.1 firmware update issue: communication problem ?

Hello,

When trying to apply a firmware update (we have only Gen 13th and 14th PowerEdge servers), we always get the message "Mount of remote share failed".

On our firewall, we allowed CIFS access from iDRAC to OME appliance ports (137, 138, 139, 445) and no communication error is beeing loggued.

Any advice ?

Regards Fabrice

13 Posts

December 6th, 2019 09:00

I found that the Restrict Allowed IP Range setting started applying to the SMB connections made from endpoints during update retrieval after one of the OME appliance updates. Previously this setting only affected web access I believe.

124 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

We're having similar issues with a single server. I've created packet capture of the CIFS traffic and it shows OME giving ACCESS_DENIED on the file/share. So they way I understand it works is: * OME tells iDRAC/LC via some API that there are updates to be installed and the location to retrieve them from * LC then connects to OME via the protocol/path specified In this case it is that second part that doesn't work. I'll let you know how it goes.

January 23rd, 2019 14:00

If you haven't already. You need to enable SMBv1 in the OME appliance as idracs don't support v2.

January 23rd, 2019 15:00

Also have this issue (RED016), no error messages logged on the firewall.

1 Message

January 28th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

We have same problem as fab42, all ports are open on our firewall, update firmware only for Gen 13th and 14th PowerEdge servers and SMB V1 activated or not.

We use OME 3.1

Same question: Any advice ?

Thanks.

124 Posts

January 28th, 2019 13:00

How do you come to that conclusion. I checked and SMB v1 is disabled in OME indeed. Doesn't explain why all servers correctly updated but one.

1K Posts

January 28th, 2019 22:00

SMBv1 needs to be enabled only for older releases of iDRAC. All new release of 13G and 14G have SMBv2 enabled. For the server where firmware update failed, can you specify what error message are you getting?

February 12th, 2019 15:00

I never had this problem using OME to update my FX2's until we updated it to OME 3.1. Started getting RED016 errors in the logs. 

To fix, I went into OME Application Settings > Console Preferences > SMB Setting and Enable v1 to get rid of the error. OME updates are now working again. 

11 Posts

December 10th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

You are right. On latest build 3.3.1.12, I got again following messages:

Message ID: RED016

After disabling the IP adress range restriction, the issue disappeared.

I agree with you that this setting should apply to web connections, not to traffic between OME and iDRAC... It was indeed the initial behaviour, but it is not true anymore !

Thanks a lot !
No Events found!