Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 19th, 2020 06:00

OME Backup Best Practices

We are running OME 3.3.1 and will be updating to 3.4.1. I would like to take a backup prior to doing this and wanted to know if there were best practices for this procedure. Is a snapshot while powered on sufficient? Do I need to power off the appliance then perform the snapshot? Will there be an easier backup method in the future for OME?

• 

3.3K Posts

August 19th, 2020 11:00

Hello JarodCs,

You can take a snapshot with it on or off or suspended. It is the best method for backup so it can auto revert if something goes wrong in the update.

Please do review the documentation for upgrading:  https://dell.to/3kVJlfT

Please review Update OpenManage Enterprise page 142

NOTE: A fresh installation of OpenManage Enterprise version 3.4.1 is not allowed as this is a patch release to the official

OpenManage Enterpise version 3.4. You must first install OpenManage Enterprise version 3.4 and then upgrade it to version 3.4.1.

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

August 19th, 2020 11:00

I am aware of the stepped upgrade from 3.31 -> 3.4 -> 3.4.1 but thanks for the note.  We will take a snapshot of the system while online and upgrade afterwards.  Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

July 19th, 2021 08:00

Hello didder44,

I have an update from your Systems Management team.  Backup and restore is on the roadmap for 3.8 due out in Q4.

2 Posts

July 19th, 2021 08:00

Appreciate a snapshot is a valid backup mechanism, if the snapshot itself is taking a healthy appliance state, or you consume lots of additional archives for each appliance you have in the estate "just in case".

I've also seen responses around SQL statements to take data from the backend database, haven't seen this procedurised formally?

This all sounds very in-flexible.  Is there a way of raising the concept of backing up and exporting configuration to the Dell Dev teams?  I see there are a lot of people raising this point only for sledge hammer "community accepted solution" acceptance.

2 Posts

July 19th, 2021 15:00

Good to know. Thanks.

2 Posts

July 19th, 2021 15:00

Thanks for the info. 

No Events found!