Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

33 Posts

March 26th, 2019 06:00

OME Support

Hi, I have a question about getting support for OME. Say I wanted to get an engineer on the phone to help with a couple issues / questions we have, what is the correct path to follow to get into contact with someone knowledgeable about OME? 

• 

6.2K Posts

March 26th, 2019 10:00

Hello

You can find documentation on the product support page. You can also ask questions in the community forums.

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

If you want to speak to someone on the phone then you should contact the phone support for the product you are managing. There is not a separate support number for OpenManage. You can enter the system service tag on our support site to pull up available warranty support contacts.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 26th, 2019 13:00

Is the server under warranty? They should be able to transfer you to the support group of the server if it is in warranty. If the system is out of warranty then I'm not sure if you can speak with someone on the phone for support.

Triage is not a technical support group. They will always transfer you to someone else if you need technical support.

33 Posts

March 26th, 2019 13:00

Daniel, thanks for the info. I have been calling into support, but it's an odd user experience - calling in and giving the service tag of a PowerEdge server, getting routed to a systems expert from triage, and them finding out the ticket needs to go elsewhere because I'm calling in on an issue for OME and not the server itself.

Any plans to have dedicated support for the systems management software in the future?

33 Posts

March 27th, 2019 12:00

Yes, the server is under warranty, and I'm clear that triage will transfer you. It's the transfer afterwards that worries me.. Is this support as intended?

25 Posts

April 4th, 2019 07:00

same odd experience here. My issue is not with any one service tag, it's with the 700+ service tags and the Server MGMT platform i'm using to maintain them. 

33 Posts

April 4th, 2019 08:00

Right, so I think what we're saying is it's odd to give a service tag upfront when we know we're calling about software that potentially manages hundreds of them, and it doesn't give a warm and fuzzy to wait an extended period to get support for the systems management products. I will say though, support has been awesome when we finally get to the right person. The forum has also been super useful in answering our questions about OME and DRM.

Please take this as simple feedback on the customer experience Dell :) 

• 

6.2K Posts

April 4th, 2019 09:00

Thank you both for the feedback, but the process is unlikely to change.

Most of our OpenManage product line is provided free of charge. Support for the product by our tech support staff is based on warranty entitlement. Our staffing levels are determined by the needs of our clients with active support contracts, so we need this filtering process to be able to provide an acceptable level of service.

Regarding the need to engage additional resources, this is not something specific to any OpenManage product line. As fellow information technology professionals I hope you are able to appreciate the amount of knowledge required to support these products. We have a tremendous amount of resources available and we often leverage those resources to provide the highest quality service possible. Sometimes that involves bringing someone else on the call or transferring the call.

I will forward this feedback, thank you much.

No Events found!