Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

July 31st, 2019 12:00

OMEnterprise - No Virtual Machine to Import?

Hi,

I just downloaded the VHD version of OMEnterprise.  I went into Hyper-V to import that VM but there doesn't seem to be an actual VM in there.  I downloaded the file called openmanage_enterprise_vhd_format_3.2.zip.  I only see 4 files in the .zip file:

• kiwi.result
  • openmanage_enterprise.x86_64-0.0.1.packages
  • openmanage_enterprise.x86_64-0.0.1.verified
  • openmanage_enterprise.x86_64-0.0.1.vhd

When I follow the instructions and go to Import Virtual Machine, I get an error that says Hyper-V didn't find a VM to import.  I'm using Hyper-V 2016 which the documentation says should be able to import.

Is there something else I need to do to make this work?

omenterprise.jpg

5 Posts

July 31st, 2019 16:00

I am also having this issue and wondering what I am missing.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2019 17:00

Hello

The instructions for Hyper-V appear to be incorrect for the files provided. The files provided do not appear to include virtual machine information. It looks like it is just a VHD. I was able to install it using these steps.

1. Extract zip file - openmanage_enterprise_vhd_format_3.2.zip
  2. Copy VHD folder and all contents to desired location for VHD
    1. For me, copy from: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\openmanage_enterprise_vhd_format_3.2\appliance\vmx
      1. Copy VHD folder
    2. For me, copy to F:\VHD
      1. Renamed folder OMEnt.VHD - F:\VHD\OMEnt.VHD\
    3. Your folder locations and names can be whatever you want.
  3. Create a new virtual machine using an existing VHD
    1. Select the Hyper-V host you want to install and choose New>Virtual Machine
    2. Name VM whatever you like
    3. Select Generation 1
    4. Use either dynamic memory or set the memory to the requirements listed in the manual
    5. Select virtual switch to connect
    6. Select Use an existing virtual hard disk
      1. Browse to and select the VHD file extracted in step 2
    7. Finish

You should then be able to start the virtual machine and proceed with setup and configuration.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

July 31st, 2019 18:00

Yeah. Those are the manual steps that you're supposed to have to do if you're using 2012 or older. The instructions say that you should be able to just import Fusion 2016 but I agree that it doesn't seem like the file contains the right compressed files. Hopefully someone from Dell can fix this.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 16:00

I'm waiting to hear back on how we plan to address this issue. When I find out I'll post the plan of action here. We are either going to update the installation instructions to match the process for the file provided or provide the correct files for the instructions provided. I can't think of a third option.

It will probably be late next week, at the earliest, that I will have an update.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 7th, 2019 11:00

The installation instructions will be changed to reflect the need to create a new virtual machine. The user guide was changed previously, but the download page and an installation document on the OMEnt support page was not updated to remove the import method.

1 Message

November 8th, 2019 11:00

It would appear that the instructions have not been updated as of 11/08/2019, at least where I was directed to download OMEnt: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/rc1373651/sln310714/support-for-openmanage-enterprise?lang=en

Thank you for your post explaining the issue.

Charles

45 Posts

August 6th, 2020 01:00

Still not fixed. Cost me 1h to get an overview, whats going on...

A description about the CPU and Memory requirements would be great

Br

Sergej

May 10th, 2021 12:00

May 2021; they still haven't fixed this.

• 

8.4K Posts

May 10th, 2021 13:00

Kungfujediss,

You should be able to deploy the VHD as documented and it work fine, back in 3.2 there were some documentation issues, but that has since been resolved. I would suggest uninstalling the version you have installed and running the latest version for 3.5.
Let me know how it goes.
No Events found!