Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2018 16:00

OpenManage Enterprise vs Essentials - What's the difference?

I'm hoping this will be an easy one, but are there any functional differences between Enterprise and the older Essentials?  From what I've read so far, it seems that Enterprise is just the next evolution / replacement for Essentials.  Is Essentials even continuing to be developed?

I haven't been able to find anyone to speak with about OpenManage over at Dell, so I figured the community here would be my last best bet.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 21st, 2018 06:00

MCenigma,

OM Enterprise is in fact the replacement for OpenManage Essentials.  The underlying difference between them is that OM Enterprise does not use SQL (and OME does).  Also OM Enterprise can also be downloaded as a VHD, which helps with the installation itself.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 08:00

@DELL-Chris H wrote:

MCenigma,

OM Enterprise is in fact the replacement for OpenManage Essentials.  The underlying difference between them is that OM Enterprise does not use SQL (and OME does).  Also OM Enterprise can also be downloaded as a VHD, which helps with the installation itself.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Chris, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Lastly though, besides these core upgrades, are there any major new features / manageability provided in this new OMEnterprise compared to the latest release of OMEssentials?  Perhaps a road map for the future as well?

Cheers!

1K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 23:00

Hi,

Thanks for your question. Chris is right, OMEnterprise does not use SQL db, OMEssentials does. There are not of other things different between Enterprise and Essentials from implementation stand point:

• Enterprise is Linux based, Essentials is only for Windows
  • Enterprise is an appliance, Essentials is exe
  • Enterprise does not use Silverlight, Essentials does

For feature stand-point:

• Enterprise supports IPv6, Essentials does not.
  • Enterprise does not support Inband methods (OMSA based) of discovery and firmware update, Essentials does

It will be difficult to answer the road-map question here but i can assure your that there are a lot of feature implementations planned and you will keep getting notifications about them on Dell Tech Center as and well releases are happening.

April 3rd, 2019 08:00

Our informaton assurance office is trying to seek approval for this software.
We can't find any 3rd party security software reviews.
The ports and protocols are laid out clearly as well as the CentOS with Postgres database.
Security features are mentioned as well in the user's guide.

I'd like to see a Dell white paper documentation explaining how OpenManage Enterprise is the heir apparent.
Or the evolution of a smaller footprint, out of the box hardened/secured from the old OM Essentials.
Anything more technical or consolidated that will support it to replace previously reviewed/approved OpenManage platform products OM Essentials.

• 1) Source: https://blog.dellemc.com/en-us/simply-better-openmanage-enterprise-update-delivers-powerful-new-features/
    What’s New in OpenManage Enterprise v3.0?
    PowerEdge MX7000 support (discovery, inventory, firmware updates, chassis templates, proxied-management, standalone / stacked chassis)
    Simplified configuration remediation
    Increased scalability to manage 8000 devices
    Alert reception and processing from unknown devices
    Guided templates
    Integration with the OpenManage Mobile application enables remote data center monitoring and maintenance via mobile device
    Expanded remote scripting tokens
    In-place, single click upgrade support (from OpenManage Enterprise -Tech Release to OpenManage Enterprise v.3.0)
    New device support for FS8600 / FD332
  • 2) Source: Dell-OME3.1-EMC OpenManage Enterprise Version 3.1 Release Notes .pdf
    What's new in OpenManage Enterprise v3.1
    Ability to forward audit logs for remote monitoring through Syslog servers.•
    Support for the latest 14th generation PowerEdge servers.•
    Enhancement:–
    Availability of additional alert categories for creating alert policies.–
    Enhanced SMB security settings to support the server message block signing.–
    Use of secured CIFS network share for firmware updates, and improvements and bug fixes during a firmware update job
  • 3) Source: https://www.dellemc.com/en-us/solutions/openmanage/enterprise.htm
    OpenManage Enterprise features a HTML5 GUI with elastic search engine for faster performance and response times.
    It also includes a redesigned architecture implemented on CentOS with PostgreSQL database, eliminating the requirement & expense of additional operating system & database licenses.
No Events found!