Abhijeet6433
1 Nickel

Priorities for different racks in OMPC?

Hi,

Can i Set multiple priorities among multiple rack servers in a OMPC data centre? I have three racks, and I want the first one to always have the maximum power.

In case the power requirement cannot be met, is it possible to take power form lower priority racks, and provide it to the first rack (highest priority rack).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Priorities for different racks in OMPC?

Abhijeet6433,

You would be able to do so by using the Dynamic Power Caps, as well as the Priority Policies, as seen on page 85 here. You would create the low and high priority rack groups, then set the power policies and hierarchy for each, giving the High Priority ones the higher priority for power.

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Abhijeet6433
1 Nickel

Thanks Chris.

The document shared by you mentions that high priority devices (i.e. servers) get more preference over low priority servers, however my problem requires that similar priority based power distribution should also happen at rack level, Just to give an example if Capacity of Aisle#1 is 5000W, & Aisle has 2 racks; Rack#1 (High priority) & Rack#2 (low priority).

On weekdays both these racks are using 500W each. But on weekends, Rack #1 needs 4800W.

Will the distribution then look like Rack1 4800W & Rack2 200W? Or will Rack 1 be denied the extra power (i.e. it will be given only 4500W & rack 2 will have 500W).

I would really appreciate if you could help here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DELL-Sonylal P
1 Nickel

Hi,

We can solve the problem by adding multiple policies. OMPC we don't have any restriction on number of policies.

To solve the issue,  

For weekdays (policy schedule page select the recurrence pattern) we can create single dynamic or static policy for both racks. Make sure both racks comes under single group and create the policy for this group

For weekends (Select Saturday and Sunday in recurrence pattern) we have to create a policy with 4800W for rack1 and 200W for rack2. 

If your usage of power is at the border line of the limit (Maximum power draw allowed) then the recommendation is to use static policy rather than dynamic policy. Static policy will make sure we will never cross the limit.

Regards,

Sony

0 Kudos