Highlighted

RED016 Mount of remote share failed

When attempting to use Dell OME to update firmware on an iDRAC, I am receiving errors such as the following:

Message ID: RED016

The following is allowed through the firewall between the Dell OME appliance and the iDRAC (bidirectional):

TCP/22
TCP/80
TCP/111
TCP and UDP/137-138
TCP/139
UDP/161-162
TCP/443
TCP/445
UDP/623

I had one of our network engineers perform a packet capture while trying to perform the firmware update, and he said the devices were trying to communicate on various ports in the 600-900 range. He temporarily allowed that range, and I was able to successfully push a firmware update, but he needs to configure the firewall to use the exact port range due to network security policy. Can anyone advise on the specific additional ports that are required?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: RED016 Mount of remote share failed

Thanks for the question.

I think the doc says 111 is for NFS.  2049 might be in the mix too.  I'm trying to get confirmation on that, but you may check.  They 600-900 range surprises me.  If you can double check 111 and 2049 and still confirm 600-900 I'll go back to the team for another check.

Hope that helps,

Rob

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-openmanage-enterprise-tech-release_users-guide_en-us.pdf

DELL-Rob C
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

OK, I'll request they allow 2049 and see what happens. Due to internal change control policy, it'll probably be a week or two before the additional port will be allowed. Will report back with findings.

0 Kudos

After getting the firewall rule for 2049, firmware deployments still fail with the same error. I will coordinate with our network personnel to perform another packet capture to see what is happening.

0 Kudos

Ok, thanks.  Keep me posted.

Question: Are you using just the internal dell catalog download or a network share catalog?

Thx

Rob

DELL-Rob C
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Will do. Performed a packet capture, but did not see the 600-900 range this time. Currently waiting on our network personnel to temporarily allow all traffic between OME and the iDRAC's, then will perform another packet capture.

We are using the Dell catalog.

0 Kudos

Turns out the failures to mount the file share were not related to network connectivity. We increased the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, and are now able to deploy firmware updates successfully and consistently.

0 Kudos