Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 21st, 2018 12:00

Unable to discover using OpenManage enterprise

I'm standing up a test-server to replace our old essentials one. I've managed to install the server and login via the web. I set up NTP and now I'm looking to discover devices. However, I haven't been successful importing a variety of devices that existed on my essentials server, including servers (windows), idrac, and MD storage devices. I've tried using DNS and IP addresses. Domain accounts (for the windows hosts) as well as local accounts. I've attempted SNMP for the MD storage devices. Some are on the same network as the OM Enterprise server, others are not.

Each discovery log comes back with: 

CGEN1013 : Unable to connect to the device over because a connection error occurred.

2.8K Posts

October 4th, 2018 08:00

Hi @benitez and thanks for the post.

Yes, we are definitely more on the out-of-band/iDRAC side of things with the new product.  The lockout issue is a concern--is it possible one of your discovery jobs is hitting your ESXi with the wrong password?  I wonder if you were to put the ESXi in it's own discovery range.

We may need a support ticket to dig into the lockout issue further.

So other than the ESXi discovery, the in-band options are limited as we don't use SNMP or OMSA for discovery of servers any more.  I'm passing this note along to the right team to review your request for more in-band support.

Thanks,

Rob

--

I'll put the phone number here, but I need to enter it in a goofy format since this forum software strips out a lot of numbers.

8-0-0-9-4-5-3-3-5-5

19 Posts

October 5th, 2018 07:00

we have all our ESXi hosts in it's own discovery range (approx 50 hosts per OME appliance), separate from windows/linux and idrac devices. all of our esxi hosts have the same exact root password and i can confirm via ssh and console. we deploy our hosts using Dell's vCenter integration plugin in the same manner with the same profiles/passwords. but the discovery only works for some hosts and then causes other hosts to have their root accounts locked out. this seems to be random. looking at recent ESXi events, the source of the invalid login attempts is the OME appliance. with ESXi 6.0+, VMware's default behavior now is to lock out root after a few invalid login attempts.

101 Posts

December 10th, 2018 15:00

Is this still the situation that iDRAC is required and there is only out-of-band only support?  The thought of getting away from silverlight was very exciting. But, it seems I'd have to run Essentials and Enterprise concurrently.  I still have some servers with iDRAC5, some servers with only BMC, and I wouldn't want to give up driver updating. I'll probably have those iDRAC5 systems until 2023 when Windows Server 2012 goes EOL.  While I don't expect update support for them, it would be nice if OME could at least know they're there.

I get wanting to upgrade technology, but dropping in-band support with no plan to support managing driver updates seems like a poor decision.

2.8K Posts

December 11th, 2018 06:00

Hi there,

Yes, afraid that is the case.

I _think_ we did pre-define the OMSA MIB, so you might still get formatted SNMP traps even though you are not able to discover in-band via SNMP/WMI.  It also may be the case that you can do an SSH discovery of the in-band OS on those boxes depending on the OS you have installed.  Sorry it's not exactly what you want, but it may be something to work with.

I'll pass this thread along to the right folks for review and consideration as well.

Thanks!

Rob

101 Posts

December 11th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for passing on the feedback. If the team has issues with supporting old equipment, they should at least consider a solution for bringing back the driver management functionality.  OpenManage Essentials ended the dark days (for me) of having to download and distribute a huge ISO of Serer Update Utility to update my servers.

I liked what I did see of OM Enterprise UI.  I look forward to when it is ready for my environment (or vice versa).

1 Message

January 15th, 2019 11:00

Yeah, not having in-band management or driver management is a deal breaker for us. I really like the idea of OMEnt being served as a virtual appliance, and the interface is nice. But it's kind of a downgrade compared to what we already have set up with Essentials. Please look in to adding these features!

1K Posts

January 16th, 2019 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I have restated the request to be prioritized. Be assured we are doing the best to make it better.

1K Posts

January 16th, 2019 08:00

Team is looking at all the requests for multiple future releases.

5 Posts

June 10th, 2019 16:00

So umm...

Last post 6 months ago. Any movement here?

Just got 3.1 running and cannot discover R610's via SNMP. Works with the Dell troubleshooting tool and our current Essentials install.

This page: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-openmanage-enterprise-v3.1/ome_3.1_ug/supported-protocols-and-ports-in-openmanage-enterprise?guid=guid-cc580a3e-2010-4aac-92e6-6b956f16ba8d&lang=en-us seems to indicate SNMP is supported on managed hosts.

True or hype?

Thanks for any info,

Ian

June 19th, 2019 08:00

In the same boat with everyone else.  Dell needs to provide a way to update drivers on all of our Dell servers.  This new Enterprise version seems like a major step backwards in functionality.  

101 Posts

September 11th, 2019 06:00

There is a note on the OpenManage Essentials page that 2.5 is the last release and that Essentials won't support future servers.  It's disappointing to see Dell make this move with this large functional issue still not resolved in OpenManage Enterprise.  People should move to Enterprise because they want to, because it's a better solution...not because the solution that works is being discontinued. 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312494/support-for-openmanage-essentials

45 Posts

August 6th, 2020 05:00

Hi,

same here. No in-band Discovery possible. Same Subnet. iDrac Discovery working fine. In OMEss no issues.

Without in-band we also don't see the Hyper-V Information. Just Just iDrec Servers.

Br

Sergej

November 16th, 2022 10:00

Hi there.

Last post more than two years ago and it seems Openmanage Enterprise, we're running Version 3.9.0 (Build 55), does still not work with SNMP discovery and driver installation like the old Openmanage Essentials did?

Did Dell provide any other tool providing same functionality as Openmanage Essentilas in the Meantime? Or what other monitoring tools do you use instead of the disappointing new OME @all others?

Cheers.

1 Rookie

• 

104 Posts

November 16th, 2022 12:00

In trying to understand the driver components, my read is that it relies on SSH and Windows credentials, as well as a selecting the 'Collect driver inventory' option for inventory tasks.

Reference this document.

101 Posts

November 21st, 2022 13:00

I changed to manually running Dell System Update (DSU) on each sever.  Even before it went EOL, Essentials's ability to install updates was hit or miss.  DSU is a manual process, but it ends up saving time from fighting with Essentials.  I don't have Enterprise installed to know if it is better than when I first tried it years ago.

No Events found!