Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

August 11th, 2019 14:00

Best network configuration for Openmanage

HI,

I am new for Open manage. I have more than 5 servers ( Dell poweredge R610 )
Dell PE 610 has 4 NIC and we are fully utilized for the NIC on each server. Our NIC setting are as below:-
1) NIC 1 - Remote Access from external
2) NIC 2 - Active Directory connection

3) NIC 3 - Shared file connection among all servers

4) NIC 4 - This will be Hyper-V NIC

Can you suggest to me, should I need to get additional 2 or 4 port NIC for the NIC and dedicated Switch for that?
Can I install it as VM?

Thanks!

2.9K Posts

August 12th, 2019 08:00

Are you wanting to install OpenManage Enterprise? That's the only edition that will work as a VM. It's also the only way that Enterprise is available. Unless you have a very high volume of devices reporting back to it, a dedicated NIC likely wouldn't be needed. It's not even mentioned in the User's Guide. 

OpenManager Server Administrator will not work in a VM, though.

16 Posts

August 12th, 2019 09:00

HI,

Yes. I want to install OME in VM and it centralised all the reporting thru the OME isnt it?

I was wondering about the NIC setup, by defaule PE 610 comes with 4 NICs. Should I get an additional NIC or I can use the current as per mention earlier?

Thanks!

2.9K Posts

August 14th, 2019 11:00

When you say OME, do you mean Essentials or Enterprise? OpenManage Enterprise has replaced Essentials and is only available as a virtual appliance. The documentation for Enterprise does not state that an independent NIC is required, so I would only implement a dedicated NIC in the case of managing a very high volume of systems. If you are managing 5-10 servers, I wouldn't bother.

No Events found!