Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 29th, 2013 10:00

Broadcom 17.6 catalog Issue

Hey Guys,

I noticed an earlier forum post about this, but I have some further details.  This is not related to the update from OME 1.1.1 to 1.2.

With the last catalog release, Broadcom version 17.6 drivers were made available for upgrade (dell seems to have finally gone with Broadcom's driver version numbering which is nice, saves the headaches, but seems to have caused a new issue).

Here's a screenshot from OME:

Here's a screenshot from the 17.6 release notes - note the actual driver version:

When checking the device inventory via OME, it is listing the driver at 7.6.2 as well as another entry for the driver being at 17.6

The screenshot I put was from a 2950 server, but it's occurring in approximately 19 other physical servers for me

My guess would be that either OME is looking at the wrong driver to update, or the versioning differences is messing it up

Blake

January 6th, 2014 07:00

This is 100% on Dell. Even if there are issues with Broadcom, they are not the ones pushing updates to the catalog which in turn is alerting Dell Software to know that an update is available.

If the Broadcom drivers had issues in the first place, not cataloging the update would keep Dell systems out of the know and thus no problem.

No way, no how, will this ever be assigned to Broadcom as their issue.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 07:00

Yes, but, from our standpoint, we can't go to Broadcom? We are using a Dell product/service and we look to Dell to push the issue with whoever, as needed, and get us a resolution? I am sorry for the rant here - but this is just getting out of hand!

33 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 04:00

More than two weeks faded away and there is absolutely no information by DELL.

Makes me feel real sad.

33 Posts

February 10th, 2014 07:00

Is Dell working on this issue?

For months we didn't hear anything regarding this issue. I don't feel like anyone cares about this problem. Hope dies last.

February 10th, 2014 07:00

And during that time I've had other catalog issues arise such as a VRTX update appearing on my R420 servers (SAS RAID)......

2.8K Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

ed:Duplicate post from my previous reply (sorry, forum said the post failed).  Rob

Hi guys, I definitely understand the importance of the issue.  Here is the latest I know of.

Note on these types of issues, there are often 3 things in the mix: the driver pack (BComm), the catalog, and OME.  So we have multiple teams that need to keep the moving parts in sync.  Certainly not an excuse, from a customer perspective: it's Dell.  And that's correct.  Internally, there can be a number of groups working to resolve....different release schedules, etc.  As I said, not an excuse, just 'insight'.

1.       Be sure you have the latest catalog.  Latest is K7PGY  posted 1/30/2014
  2.       The initial issue was that the BCOM 32 bit firmware update would not execute within the WOW64 layer.  This is fixed in the latest update package.
  3.       The version issue was fixed in the Jan 10th catalog. This had to do with the fact that the MUP used a 3 digit number scheme where the catalog was using 4 digits.  
  4.       The remaining problem is now that, in OME 1.2 you will see the individual drivers showing as applicable update even after applying the driver family update.
  5.       To fix this (#4 above), in the upcoming version of OME (Q12014) the update logic is updated so that only the driver family shows up as applicable update.  Once you apply that update, the system will become compliant (provided all other updates are applied as well). 

Thanks,

Rob

2.8K Posts

Hi Robert...

Can I get more info on that bogus update showing up? SAS RAID (Firmware or drive and the full name). 

I can try to tell the catalog team.  But it would be helpful if you can open a ticket on this particular issue.

Thanks,

Rob

2.8K Posts

Hi guys, I definitely understand the importance of the issue.  Here is the latest I know of.

Note on these types of issues, there are often 3 things in the mix: the driver pack (BComm), the catalog, and OME.  So we have multiple teams that need to keep the moving parts in sync.  Certainly not an excuse, from a customer perspective: it's Dell.  And that's correct.  Internally, there can be a number of groups working to resolve....different release schedules, etc.  As I said, not an excuse, just 'insight'.

1.       Be sure you have the latest catalog.  Latest is K7PGY  posted 1/30/2014
  2.       The initial issue was that the BCOM 32 bit firmware update would not execute within the WOW64 layer.  This is fixed in the latest update package.
  3.       The version issue was fixed in the Jan 10th catalog. This had to do with the fact that the MUP used a 3 digit number scheme where the catalog was using 4 digits.  
  4.       The remaining problem is now that, in OME 1.2 you will see the individual drivers showing as applicable update even after applying the driver family update.
  5.       To fix this (#4 above), in the upcoming version of OME (Q12014) the update logic is updated so that only the driver family shows up as applicable update.  Once you apply that update, the system will become compliant (provided all other updates are applied as well). 

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=7W1YW

Windows 2008 R2 64 Bit Driver for VRTX controllers

My controller is Perc  H710 but not VRTX. Update will not apply to this model.

58 Posts

February 11th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the update Rob :)

No Events found!