Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2015 05:00

Couple of Questions before I start

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions to clear up before I get started;

Do I have to configure SNMP for monitoring system faults and system updates such as deploying firmware or can I do everything via iDRAC using WS-MAN which is my preferred option as I can only ping the DRAC and not the IP addresses of  any server?

What are the PRO's and CON's?

Many thanks

October 15th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Glad to know that you will be getting started with OME.

You can discover the servers in OME with iDRAC IP using WS-MAN. Also, you can perform system updates out-of-band using iDRAC. More information about system updates can be found in this whitepaper - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20217144

For monitoring system faults, you need to set alert destination on each iDRACs as OME system IP. You can refer the whitepaper @ http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20438657 for quickly doing this on multiple iDRACs.

Welcome to OME :). Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Vijay

58 Posts

October 15th, 2015 06:00

Thanks Vijay,

So I can use all features with having to use SNMP?

October 15th, 2015 06:00

I'm guessing you meant "without SNMP" and then the answer is yes.
All the inventory and discovery from OME to the iDRAC (6,7 and 8) should be done based on WS-MAN, older DRAC's only support SNMP and no Out-of-Band is supported for older DRAC's.

That being said you should enable the SNMP traps in the iDRAC to the OME server, that way alerts are send to OME and can be used by SupportAssist to automatically create support tickets.

October 15th, 2015 07:00

58 Posts

October 15th, 2015 07:00

Great, is there a doc on how to configure the Trap settings? I want to know if the Destination IPv4 address can be the iDAC IP of the OME server?

Also what else needs to be configured on the iDRAC card of each server I want to monitor?

58 Posts

October 16th, 2015 08:00

I use iDRAC 6 cards. Is it the same process?

Mark

58 Posts

October 16th, 2015 08:00

Also, to clarify - Do I open this browser on the target server to run? What if it's Linux?

October 19th, 2015 01:00

The process for the iDRAC 6 is indeed the same.

Not sure what you mean with your question in regards to the webconsole?

58 Posts

October 20th, 2015 05:00

So I open the OME console on each server I want to monitor and perform this task to  configure alert actions?

October 20th, 2015 06:00

OME is an one to many console so there is no need to open it up on every server. Maybe you are confused with OMSA and OME.

The task you create will run against the remote iDRAC's from OME.

Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA)

Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) is a software agent that provides a comprehensive, one-to-one systems management solution in two ways: from an integrated, Web browser-based graphical user interface (GUI) and from a command line interface (CLI) through the operating system.

OMSA is designed so that system administrators can manage server systems both locally and remotely on a network. It also interfaces with OpenManage Essentials (OME) console, which allows for monitoring of the systems in your data center from a single interface.

Currently the OMSA agent can be installed on 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows Server and Red Hat Linux as well as Novell SUSE Linux

http://delltechcenter.com/omsa

Dell OpenManage Essentials (OME)

OpenManage Essentials (OME) is a systems management console that provides simple, basic Dell hardware management and is available as a free download.

The latest release is OME 2.1 and it launched on September 15, 2015. It brings a lot of great new features to the product.

Dell OpenManage Essentials (OME) version 2.1 is the latest release of our easy to install, intuitively simple to use, and customer-acclaimed, One-to-Many systems management console that is optimized to provide comprehensive lifecycle management of Dell PowerEdge converged, rack and tower servers. OpenManage Essentials also delivers extensive infrastructure health monitoring, control, and support for Dell servers, storage, networking, business clients, firewall appliances, and 3rd party hardware.

http://delltechcenter.com/ome

58 Posts

October 21st, 2015 04:00

Thank You. I ran the task and I receive the following result

Results: Exit code:1.
Output from command (stdout):
C:\Windows\system32>?r

Output from command (stderr): '?r' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

What is this saying?

58 Posts

October 21st, 2015 05:00

Or this result?

Results: Exit code:1.
Output from command (stdout):
C:\Windows\system32>racadmᅠ-r 10.44.1.13ᅠ-u $administratorᅠ-p $1234567 configᅠ-g cfgipmilanᅠ-o cfgipmilanalertenable 1

C:\Windows\system32>racadmᅠ-r 10.44.1.13ᅠ-u $administratorᅠ-p $1234567 eventfilters setᅠ-c idrac.alert.allᅠ-a noneᅠ-n snmp

C:\Windows\system32>racadmᅠ-r 10.44.1.13ᅠ-u $administratorᅠ-p $1234567 set idrac.snmp.alert.1.enable 1

C:\Windows\system32>racadmᅠ-r 10.44.1.13ᅠ-u $administratorᅠ-p $1234567 set idrac.snmp.alert.1.destaddr 10.44.1.15

Output from command (stderr): 'racadmᅠ-r' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
'racadmᅠ-r' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

I have logged onto the iDRAC of remote server and no trap settings have been setup

58 Posts

October 21st, 2015 07:00

This was saved as a batch file

racadm -r %1 -u %2 -p %3 config -g cfgipmilan -o cfgipmilanalertenable 1

racadm -r %1 -u %2 -p %3 eventfilters set -c idrac.alert.all -a none -n snmp

racadm -r %1 -u %2 -p %3 set idrac.snmp.alert.1.enable 1

racadm -r %1 -u %2 -p %3 set idrac.snmp.alert.1.destaddr %4

58 Posts

Ok, put fake one in

58 Posts

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4494/5518.Doc1.docx:550:0]

No Events found!