Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2012 11:00

Dell OME Racadm examples?

Maybe I'm just being dense, but does anyone have some examples of using remote Racadm tasks to configure my DRACs.  Specifically I'm looking to apply a standard template.cfg file to any DRACs that get discovered by the Dell OME console.  Is that in the documentation anywhere or does anyone have some best practices they're using?

February 16th, 2012 12:00

if you click on the schedule and credentials tab of the task that is where you would enter the login and password for the drac.  

i would suggest

racadm -f filename.cfg

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

i would suggest doing a manual racadm -f -c filename.cfg first to a local idrac to verify the config file is usable.  

2.8K Posts

You may also look at the PowerShell whitepaper on delltechcenter.com/ome.  I was thinking it had some racadm stuff in there too.

11 Posts

Okay, tried that and made a little progress, now I get "Invalid subcommand specified."  The file is located in the correct directory on the OME server, so I know the path is good and my account has permissions to the file.

11 Posts

Thanks for the start Victor, I tried a sample command to upload our root CA Cert, and it works when I run RACADM from the command line on my local workstation with the following string:

D:\IDRAC>racadm -r testserver -u admin -p secret sslcertupload -t 2 -f d:\ssl\rootCA.cer

But when I run the task from OME with the "-r testserver" omitted, it fails with the following error

"Error: The task failed for the target device. Stderr Output: ERROR: Login failed - invalid username or password"

I've tried with and without the -u and -p parameters in the string, hence my consfusion.  Any thoughts?

February 16th, 2012 13:00

invalid subcommand means you probably have the syntax a little off.  

try

racadm getsysinfo

11 Posts

Rob, I did look at that whitepaper, and while it's definitely nifty, not all of my servers are 2008/2008R2, and the paper implied that the PS remoting being done in there to configure things required PS on all the destination servers to execute the commands.  I considered using a custom PS script to encapsulate and run the racadm command directly against each host, and I may still do that, but I don't have a good list yet of all the DRACs in the network, and polling all the subnets through the script is a lot less efficient than leveraging what OME already has.  I'm digging OME so far, just waiting on RTM to submit to our Change board and go production.  We had ITA, but it's years out of date and nobody knew how to use it really...

11 Posts

tried a racadm getsysinfo and even that fails with the same  "invalid subcommand error".  I tried the command against both a DRAC 5 and iDRAC6 with the same error.  If we're at the point where I should submit some logs to someone, I'm happy to do so...

11 Posts

February 16th, 2012 14:00

Aha, gldiii, that did the trick.  It wasn't clear from any of the documentation that all you need are the commands themselves minus the racadm part.  Cert uploaded just fine on both DRAC5 and iDRAC6 servers I was testing.  I'll try my other pieces next and hopefully will be able to roll this to the whole group soon.  THANKS!

5 Posts

February 16th, 2012 14:00

I am able to successfully upload a cert by using the following:

Select RACADM Command Line as the type of task

Enter the following in the command line with the cert on the OME box:

sslcertupload -f C:\Data\Scripts\cert.cer -t 2

using the drac account and password on the schedule and credentials page

The -r for the remote target is not needed, and the -u and -p are not needed either.

Hope this helps

No Events found!