Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2014 14:00

Dell OME server discovery issue

Hi,

I am trying to add servers using discovery range in OME. I set the range, put the SNMP community name, enabled ssh discovery with user id and pw, the same for IPMI. 

For some reason, not all servers show up ...during my scan for a subnet i was able to see only 60% of the servers show up in OME. I compared the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file on the both the CentOS servers (One was seen on OME and the other wasnt) and they were identical.

Please help for any additional steps I am missing out on.

2.8K Posts

December 8th, 2014 14:00

Hi and thanks for the post.

We have a few setup and discovery whitepapers you may want to review.

But let's look at your environment a bit.

If you have Linux, you should be using SNMP w/ OMSA installed on the box.  You would not want to select IPMI in this case.   And if you have SNMP + OMSA, you don't need SSH.

SSH is only used by itself if you don't have OMSA installed.  You get more limited support, so I'd avoid that unless for some reason you cannot install OMSA.

So remove SSH, IPMI...then delete all the devices from the tree and rediscover.

That should be a start.

Thanks,

Rob

13 Posts

December 8th, 2014 18:00

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the quick reply. I made the changes you suggested. Yes, I am running a Linux environment and I have OMSA installed on the all the hosts for that discovery range. I removed SSH, IPMI and deleted the devices from Manage > Devices > All Devices >  Servers. Also deleted the servers in the Unknown tree. I attempted to rediscover and inventory but faced the same issue again.

Not all the hosts were added in the Servers tree. Some were added in the Unknown and others did not show up at all. The ones which are unknown show N/A for the Device Type/Model/Service Tag.

Please advise

13 Posts

December 8th, 2014 18:00

It would help if you can share some of the whitepapers that will help perform the discovery and inventory to add the servers in OME

2.8K Posts

December 8th, 2014 19:00

Ok, sure.

So at delltechcenter.com/ome there are a bunch of whitepapers.  If you go to the Setup section, there is one called Making My Environment Manageable...  and under Discovery there is one as well.

So folks often don't realize that their managed nodes are in a wide variety of different states even though they think they are all pretty much the same :)

So find a single Linux box with OMSA, discover it with SNMP and confirm that it shows up under the Servers group.  Then for the others, you often have to do a "what is different" exercise.

First step is to use the Dell Troubleshooting tool on the OME desktop and point the SNMP test at one of the boxes that is going under unknown.  Do the SNMP test results include the version of Server Administrator in the result set?  It should if it is working properly.  If it doesn't, check the FAQ or the First Time setup tutorial in the OME tutorial section for special Linux managed nodes settings re SNMP.

There may still be an old Linux setup video on delltechcenter.com/ome at the bottom as well.

That should get things rolling.

Regards,

Rob

13 Posts

December 9th, 2014 07:00

Hi Rob, 

I used the Dell troubleshooting tool for SNMP. I entered the target IP address with SNMP community string in the Protocols tab and ran the test. It responded correctly with the 

MIB-II (System Name)  
Server Administrator (Version) 
Storage Management (Agent Version) 
Inventory Collector (Agent Version) 
FluidFS (Cluster Name)

Same response seen on both the hosts (one added in Servers tab in OME and the other that wasnt). 

2.8K Posts

December 9th, 2014 18:00

Ok, so I'm not totally clear on your results.

The troubleshooting tool results look exactly correct.  If you are seeing the OMSA version (and you are), then it will get discovered and classified as a server if your discovery wizard has SNMP checked with the right, case-senstiive, SNMP community name....and make sure all other protocols are not selected.

If it has been incorrectly discovered and classified once, be sure to right-click delete the server before running the discovery range again.

Often it helps to create a discovery range with a single IP address of the problematic box.  That might make it easier to debug if it is not getting classified as a server.  

Rob

13 Posts

December 10th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

While using the troubleshooting tool, I entered the SNMP community name & was able to get the results with OMSA version for the servers. However when i tried to scan the range for discovery and inventory there were some servers that did not show up at all even though they look fine in the troubleshooting tool.

So basically, some were discovered and classified as a server, some were in the Unknown section of devices and there were other devices that did not show up at all... Note that all these devices were fine in the troubleshooting tool and responded with OMSA version.

What I also noticed that previously few added devices that were classified as servers, suddenly disappeared for no apparent reason. 

I also tried to do the single IP address discovery for the problematic devices, some showed up and got classsified as a server but again there were others that didnt show up at all. 

Is there a Dell customer care number I could also contact for assistance on this issue while we troubleshoot? 

2.8K Posts

December 10th, 2014 08:00

Yeah, so it sounds like your OME setup is ok, and they just need to help you fine tune some of the managed nodes.

Call 800-945-3355 and open a ticket so they can take a look.

Thanks,

Rob

49 Posts

December 10th, 2014 10:00

We had the same problem. In the end we had a list of servers we extracted from another monitoring system and imported this into OME. When I am building servers I manually add them as I go along. I'm building roughly 2-3 servers a week so it's not been an issue. Doing it this way assures me that I'm capturing the servers as I go along.

If you need more info on how I did the import let me know and I'll give some more information.

No Events found!