Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 29th, 2011 12:00

Email alert not working after upgrade

Hello. I did an upgrade of it assistant 8.9 to openmanage essentials.

IT assistant work perfect with mail alert etc, but after the upgrade it dont work anymore?

I found sendmail.exe in the essential installation and tried to send mail through the command prompt and it worked! Anyone have some ide whats missing with the essential setup?

2.8K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi and thanks for the post.

Just to confirm, did you enter your smtp server setting in the preferences.

Also, alert actions are not migrated from ITA.  You will need to set up a new email action.  Another possibility is that the device is categorized as something that is not defined in your alert email action (example, your device is classified as OOB, but you defined an action for 'server', or something like that).

Thanks,

Rob

53 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 17:00

I've found having parenthesis ( ) in the subject/body of the alert message seems to cause issues and the email going into a black hole.

52 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 22:00

Thanks for your answer.

Yes the smtp is correct so thats not the problem.

The thing is that im right now trying to test the mail function with the test button and nothing is happening, so i dont think it has anything to do with the diffrent alert actions.

But do you know how essential is sending the mail is it using the sendmail.exe app? Im thinking that the server do not allow the exe to run through the iis? I have not find any evidence for that though.

52 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 22:00

Thanks for the answer.

Im using the default subjet body from the essential

Subject:

Device:$n $ip; Severity:$sev

Device:$n $ip, Service Tag:$st, Asset Tag:$at, Date:$d, Time:$t, Severity:$sev, Message:$m

Shouldn't that work?

52 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 23:00

Update on this.

I installed a new test server completly clean win2008 r2 and just installed openmanage essentials. And the test mail function is working so something is wrong with the upgrade process i guess.

The only diffrent is that this server is not on any domain at all but that cannot be an requirement?

2.8K Posts

January 4th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Mattias and bcshort,

Let me review your observations with the team.

Rob

2.8K Posts

January 5th, 2012 06:00

Mattias,

Do you have any anti-virus software installed that might be preventing the emails from being dispatched.  This is one issue we've seen that can impact the email feature.

Rob

52 Posts

January 9th, 2012 02:00

Yes we have anti virus(microsoft forefront) on the affected server, i have tried to disable it but still same issue.

2.8K Posts

January 9th, 2012 06:00

Hi Mattias,

Hmmm...so in the past, when we disable or change the AV setttings it seems to allow the email to go through.  The other possibility is that there was some problem with the ITA->OME upgrade.  Is it possible to do a fresh install of OME on a VM just to check to see if you can get the email feature working in your environment at all?  That would definitely help narrow it down to an upgrade bug or some behavior change from ITA to OME.

Thanks,

Rob

52 Posts

January 9th, 2012 09:00

I have already tried with an new server as posted before and that is working perfect.

Is it possible for you to give me more techincal information how the mail is sent so i can debug the faulty server. A diffrent with the faulty servern and working is SP1 for R2 that should not be an requirement according to the document though.

Also one thing can the iis block the sendmail.exe file in some way?

January 12th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

We are also having this issue with a clean install of 2008 R2. A/V is disabled, firewall disabled, nothing under windows events viewer.

2.8K Posts

January 12th, 2012 07:00

Looks like we have a bit of fixing here.  Some of these problems folks are reporting may be related to the fact that the local service account does not have access to the SMTP server.  You might be able to work around this by adding a local SMTP server on the box and forwarding the mail to another server.  Though I’m not sure this would work (or would even be recommended).

We are addressing this by adding user/password parameters to the SMTP preferences page in the version that will be releasing this quarter.

Thanks,

Rob

52 Posts

January 13th, 2012 02:00

And for my faulty server its NOT working with the Dell Troubleshooting tools..

January 13th, 2012 02:00

Rob,

Looks like the Dell TroubleShooting Tool is able to send an e-mail ok, so the issue must be with the Openmanage Essentials software.

Also, is it possible to add mib's from other suppliers into the software?

2.8K Posts

January 13th, 2012 06:00

Ok, we think we've identified the issue.  We are in the process of making changes to allow for more parameters such as user/pw, port, and SSL for the SMTP settings.  Hopefully that should address the issue.

For mibs.  We are working on a tool to allow folks to import 3rd party mibs into OME to allow for alerts.  This should be out in the first half of the year.  But I'm not certain of the date.  It will hopefully be a download from DellTechCenter, so we'll announce it here.

No Events found!